• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reverse light help- common problem?

911xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '91 XJ 4x4. I'm not sure when, but I've lost my reverse lights. I've now triple checked the dash and engine comp fuses, replaced the neutral safety switch, and checked the wires going to the rear for conitinuity. all good. But still no reverse lights.A buddy said he heard of another XJ with same prob that found a fix. Any ideas???? thanx

Hey 911XJ,

In my '88 there is a fuse inthe panel marked "trans" pull that fuse and check it out to see if it is blown or bad contats. that worked for me.

HTH,

Pigpen

verify continuity through the NSS for the backup light circuit when it reverse-- you may have a good start circuit, but nothing for backup lights--
'twas my problem.
--Shorty

Or it could be a bad "back-up light" switch on the tranny.

xjbubba said:
Or it could be a bad "back-up light" switch on the tranny.
That's in the NSS on automatics.

I believe the TRANS fuse on 91+ models in under the hood (PDC). 90 and below is under the dash. 15A and X2 on the "TRANS" label. It also controls the Power/Comfort switch so if that's not working it's the fuse, if it IS working there's another problem.

thanx for the tips, I'll try 'em all so far tomorow. Oh, and Captain Obvious- I didn't check the bulbs, HAHA.

I believe it was Kirrkagard ...or Don Rickels who said "Keep It Simple Stupid"!!!

Back