• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Returning a favor...

Mpeckham22

NAXJA Forum User
On friday i was in my jeep, the warthog, driving on I-95 N, when i was hit by a (likely) drunk hit and run driver, this threw my jeep into a fully loaded truck behind me. which then sent me sideways into another car ahead and sent me spinning and eventually sliding sideways for almost 100 yards. by some stoke of luck or something else my jeep did not roll, it was able to get back into control and help me bring 1st aid to the car that i was shot into. the police who responded couldnt believe i didnt flip and were surprised i wasnt seriously injured or worse. frankly the 'hog saved my life. but I dont want to let him go. i want to return the favor, i want to save my jeep from destruction...
now.. the damage...

IMG_20121224_232158_zps0235416d.jpg

IMG_20121224_232150_zps9ef06f39.jpg

IMG_20121224_232206_zps17508d89.jpg

the buckles.. hard to see
IMG_20121224_232214_zps35fc6236.jpg

IMG_20121224_232224_zpsd777c869.jpg

IMG_20121224_232246_zpsc51dd71e.jpg

IMG_20121224_232253_zps66ec48ac.jpg

slow drip of power steering...
IMG_20121224_232304_zps9abbb532.jpg

the photos dont seem to show the damage very well.. but anyways..

suggestions on how to go forth? i plan to put stock bumpers on, i think the fact that they crumpled to a lot of the force from the body and from me, so i want to keep them. but i know i am now leaking power steering fluid. and my back right door is pinned. he drove for another hour over the next day, im comfortable with the driveline.
(insurance is likely not going to cover me much.. if at all)
thanks for whatever input i can get.
thanks
Mike

--edit-- how does one go about checking to see if an axle is bent? (my rear right is the one in question)

Last edited:
So you got hit by a drunk driver & your worried about YOUR insurance covering it?

So you got hit by a drunk driver & your worried about YOUR insurance covering it?

it was a hit and run, the insurance was under a business that went under recently. but we havent heard from the insurance at all yet

I think the frame damage might do you in. The header panel, fender and bumpers are all relatively cheap and easy to replace.

x2. Not really worth spending a ton of cash to straighten and fix the unibody rails when you can pick up another XJ for cheap. I understand the personal attachment you feel to the Jeep, but you have to consider your safety if you happen to be in another crash. You can always cut it up and build a buggy....

that sucks. glad your allright. I cant even begin to imagine how upset I would be if someone hit/totaled my rig.

x2

that thing is totaled by insurance standards. the cut whats broke, weld in big pieces of steel method is tried and true around here but it might not get you straight enough for DD duties. let insurance total it (if it does) and buy it back and re-reg it if your state allows. get that thing on a frame straightener if you can and toss on some aftermarket bumpers and you're golden. if that hatch still opens/closes fine i'd leave it if that scars dont bother you. after that just replace the cracked lights. i'd imagine from that PS leak that the hit opened up that bottom seal in the steering box which is shitty and leaky without getting smashed. just replace the box with a "new" one and you should be set.

That's totaled due to unibody damage... and definitely a buggy project if anything.

I hate to say it, but start looking for a new rig... buy it back and turn it into a buggy if you want to but I don't believe Mass will ever let that back on the road. Maybe if you play some kind of title washing tricks.

just drive it. If you can get the lights back in it and be legal don't worry about the rear frame damage unless it's making it undrivable

That's totaled due to unibody damage... and definitely a buggy project if anything.

I hate to say it, but start looking for a new rig... buy it back and turn it into a buggy if you want to but I don't believe Mass will ever let that back on the road. Maybe if you play some kind of title washing tricks.

Wow, Ken wouldn't drive it?!?!?

just drive it. If you can get the lights back in it and be legal don't worry about the rear frame damage unless it's making it undrivable

Just drive it? Are you serious? The ****ing unibody is compromised. The last thing we need to do here is encourage someone to drive a vehicle that is obviously unsafe for them, and everyone around them.

With a kink there I doubt it'll track straight, that'll screw up the direction the rearend points and probably make one side sit higher than the other due to the shackle angle being changed somewhat...

I'd drive it home, but that's about it. Screwy handling is likely to result, plus:
* if you're going to put an insurance claim on it, they are going to inspect it
* if they inspect it, they are going to total it and salvage brand the title
* if they salvage brand the title and let you buy it back, you are not going to be able to reregister it without significant work and a salvage inspection... OR quasi legal title laundering. Either way it is probably not worth it.
* therefore it is a buggy or parts vehicle only.

The only way I see to avoid it getting a salvage title is to not put in an insurance claim and simply keep driving it, which means you're going to get screwed. No sense doing that.

you do have a lot of damage on the frame for the leaf springs which can cause problems. take a bunch of measurements of both sides to see how far off you are and if you are still square

x2. Not really worth spending a ton of cash to straighten and fix the unibody rails when you can pick up another XJ for cheap. I understand the personal attachment you feel to the Jeep, but you have to consider your safety if you happen to be in another crash. You can always cut it up and build a buggy....
~$600 and a day or 2 for a frame pull at a good place, definatly something you cannt do on your own. then just plat up the areas that got bent as they are now weaker

then a few junkyard parts and you are good to go

With a kink there I doubt it'll track straight, that'll screw up the direction the rearend points and probably make one side sit higher than the other due to the shackle angle being changed somewhat...

I'd drive it home, but that's about it. Screwy handling is likely to result, plus:
* if you're going to put an insurance claim on it, they are going to inspect it
* if they inspect it, they are going to total it and salvage brand the title
* if they salvage brand the title and let you buy it back, you are not going to be able to reregister it without significant work and a salvage inspection... OR quasi legal title laundering. Either way it is probably not worth it.
* therefore it is a buggy or parts vehicle only.

The only way I see to avoid it getting a salvage title is to not put in an insurance claim and simply keep driving it, which means you're going to get screwed. No sense doing that.
for you to get a salvage title the insurance company must buy your title from you and you have to sign it over. but they cannot brand it salvage if the vehicle is over 10 years old, thus all XJ now are safe from having to go through the salvage process. That is why my jeep has a clean title even though it was totaled

even still the salvage process in MA is interesting, depending on which RMV you go to you get different answers but the real rule is apply the salvage title for like $50, then you fix up the car any new part you buy or shop work you have work done by keep the receipts, if you get the used/junk yard parts keep the receipts and write down the VIN of the car for them to cross reference. then you take to a state police DOT inspect site and they look it over with a fine tooth comb using the accident report as a guide. when you pass take the inspection results to the RMV and you get a i think a salvaged from rectifier title for like $75 and you just go to a normal inspection shop and get your sticker and you are back on the road

Interesting. I wonder what they would think of kinked frame repair, do they check roadworthiness/safety of repairs or just make sure you have receipts for all the parts used?

If you repair that, it needs full frame stiffeners at a minimum I would say... still not sure I would put that kind of work into repairing accident damage on an XJ.

Interesting. I wonder what they would think of kinked frame repair, do they check roadworthiness/safety of repairs or just make sure you have receipts for all the parts used?

If you repair that, it needs full frame stiffeners at a minimum I would say... still not sure I would put that kind of work into repairing accident damage on an XJ.
they want to see if the parts you put on are correct and if they come from a junked car that they are not parts that cause that car to taken off the road

they also inspect if they are installed on the car and inspect that any structural work done if equal or better than stock to check if it is road worthy. basically makes the regular safety inspection look like childs play because it is a state DOT cop doing and not just some dude who will get $29 from you

at min plat up just the bent areas as those are the new weak points if you plan to wheel it but if you are going that might as well do it all

Sheep dropping knowledge up in hur

I still don't think it's worth the hassle considering the cheap price and availablility of XJs

Well my insurance isnt covering jack... but the truck that hit me, their insurance is coming on newyears eve to assess the damage etc, so im not sure how that will work out. as far as the unibody damage goes, it definitely pulled the rear axle forward on the right side. i know i can fix all the front end damage in a day for about 300 tops form the j-yard. but im not sure how i would fix that rear 1/4 panel.
where is the part out thread?
depends on what happens with those insurance goons. but im not sure if it is worth it, other than the coils, leafs, shackles, tires and exhaust my jeep is bone stock... however if i end up still having the hog i will consider it.
thanks for all the input everyone, this is actually a great help.

Back