• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

retrieving/launching boat with a 5spd

esoxhntr

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone

How big of a PITA is it to launch/retrieve with a 5spd? Is it particularly tough on the clutch? The boat/trailer/outboard is not very heavy, maybe just north of 1000lbs.

I've driven plenty 5/6spds in the past and have a good handle on it including uphill starts. I currently have an auto XJ but looking to possibly replace with a manual XJ.

Hi everyone

How big of a PITA is it to launch/retrieve with a 5spd? Is it particularly tough on the clutch? The boat/trailer/outboard is not very heavy, maybe just north of 1000lbs.

I've driven plenty 5/6spds in the past and have a good handle on it including uphill starts. I currently have an auto XJ but looking to possibly replace with a manual XJ.

If you can work a clutch, like nothin, you always have low range if you are worried. My ol man has a front hitch receiver for the winch, also works good for moving boats and trailers in and out and around.

zuki-ron, that wasn't the question. ;) i'm well aware what an xj can and cannot pull. have you ever launched/retrieved a boat? on an iced up ramp with a 5spd? just wondering how much of a pita it is compared to an auto. obviously you best make sure your ebrake is in good working order. :)

thanks bcmaxx

I live on the mississippi and regulary put my boat in with my 99 5 spd my boat wieghts about 2000 i always use 4 low to pull it out. It works great even on the steepest of ramps and since you usualy dont turn when pullin out soon as i get to flat ground i stop and put it back to 2wheel. N o burnin up clutch or spinning tires

Been there done that with a 5spd S-10 4cyl. The trick is to set the brake and let the clutch up, feather the gas until it starts to grab and relase the parking brake.
I got to laugh at a guy that had been stalling an F350 with a 6.9 on the same ramp years ago. His jaw actually dropped when I smootly pulled the boat out.

Edit: The S10 was a 2wd too.

thx for the input. another suggestion that was offered to me was to use a wheel chock tied to the bumper/trailer that will follow you up the ramp.. i guess it would work just fine :D

norcalchris, see my location. i launch a boat until ice forms up here. i cant find pics but normally carry kitty litter, salt and a shovel in the truck to help negotiate those ramps when the snow flies.

I do the heal/toe method instead, launching/retrieving a boat on ice is going to be a PITA either way. esoxhntr get us some pics of the XJ on the ramp when it's iced up I'm sure we'll get a kick out of it.

Back