• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Restore oil additive

I've used engine restore a couple times, I did not really notice anything. But there are other additives that I have used that I have noticed a bit. Marvel Mystery Oil, is great you can use it in your crankcase and your fuel tank, for those that dont know you can buy huge jugs of this at costco. Seafoam works well, altho I dont recommend using it in your crankcase for more than a few hundred miles.

restore is one of those things that you will only see major gains on a motor that had a lot of blowby and was getting to the point of needing a cylinder hone and re-ring.

When I got my comanche, I was pretty sure I would be searching for a motor inside of a year. Lots of blowbye, a little smoke in the exhaust, blackish spark plugs, and a lack of power. It is a 4cyl so the power was a relative thing. But after a can of restore, I started seeing a difference. About 5k miles after I started the treatment, It was picking up power and I changed the oil/plugs again. Plugs looked much better, and the oil smelled less burnt. New plugs new oil and another can of restore and, honestly, I am very happy with the 4 banger. Not considering an immediate swap anymore. Lots of power gain, I am happy.

Cliff Notes: Old warn engine, possible with some gouging in the cylinder walls + restore = better running motor. Worth the $7

I put Restore and some Marvel's in my 6 cyl (230,000 miles) about 1500 miles ago and there seems to be much more pep in the old dog recently. I am pretty sceptical about additives so I'm pleasantly surprised.

P.S: I also added the Marvels to the fuel.

There is a kill story section on Bimmerforums and they have cliff notes at the end of the posts--I find it funny, but it does the job of summing it up.

I put Restore and some Marvel's in my 6 cyl (230,000 miles) about 1500 miles ago and there seems to be much more pep in the old dog recently. I am pretty sceptical about additives so I'm pleasantly surprised.

P.S: I also added the Marvels to the fuel.

I was looking at marvel the other day - how much did you add to oil? to fuel? the bottle was twice the size of restore i think...

I also dropped in a bottle of STP oil additive to my other XJ - any pro or cons on that stuff? It is THICK! My 99 has some very mild compression issues and just wanted to try it out...

I put in about a pint in both fuel (full tank) and crankcase. I'm not kidding about a very noticeable difference, I truly am surprised how it's running right now, how long it lasts is another story!

I was looking at marvel the other day - how much did you add to oil? to fuel? the bottle was twice the size of restore i think...

I also dropped in a bottle of STP oil additive to my other XJ - any pro or cons on that stuff? It is THICK! My 99 has some very mild compression issues and just wanted to try it out...
When I do my oil changes, I usually put 5qts of oil and a quart of MMO. Then start her up, let her run for a few. Then check level and top off with oil. I do not usually use MMO in the tank, I usually do seafoam for that. On occasion I run some of that Chevron Inj. cleaner cuz I get it for cheap at costco.

people talk it down, but I really like the STP oil additive. It has a lot of ZDDP. I lost the numbers I had on it, but if you look at the ingerdients on the back that is almost the only thing listed. So it should be great for our fla tappet motor.

repairs the cylinder walls by filling the cracks caused by wear

It also does not work the oil pump any harder
It is also more of a cure than a make do coverup

The oil pump can handle it, probably in excess of 80psi.

With 15w40 I see 40-50 psi or so usually, I don't think that is overworking the pump.

Cheaper too compared to a $7.00 can of Restore. I used it once, not sure if I noticed a difference or not. I probably "noticed" something but you know how that goes with the mind!

yea, the more you spend on a fix the more you notice

I am not a fan of additives, but this is one I will endorse heartily. But as mentioned, It really only works very well on motors that have been worked pretty hard and would also benefit from a rebuild soon.

I'm sure my motor has had it though. I have 33's, 3.55 gears, 4.0 HO and AW4.

My buddy had a YJ with 33's, 3.07 gears, 4.0 HO and AX15 and it felt the same if not peppier than my 4.0. His had 80 some thousand while mine has nearly 209k.

Back