• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Track Bar Bushing

Another thing you might try... if you're replacing that bolt anyhow... is an air-hammer w/ a punch and knock off the head of the bolt, if you can't find a sawzall... since that bolt is quite rusted and I'm sure pretty brittle. Should snap pretty easily w/a couple whacks f/the air hammer...

Good luck w/whatever you do.

nofender said:
I see it now. Just cut through the bushing from the bottom. Once through the bolt it should fall right out, no? You're replacing the bushing anyway.

I did my trackbar this weekend and you cant just cut through the bushing. It is not like the control arm where it's visible, the track bar wraps around the bushing. On mine the ball joint press pushed out all of the bushing EXCEPT the outside sleeve. I had to cut a thin pice out of the sleve and it lossened enough to come out.

My best guess in this situation would be to saw off the bolt head, bend the front tab out far enough to maybe get a blade between the bushing and the back tab to cut the bolt. This is a tough one to be sure! Good luck!

Long ago fixed, I managed sawzall through the very edge of the bushing on the nut side and through the bolt itself. Pulled the remaining bolt and bushing out. Instead of using a captured nut I found the largest wrench I could fit in there, and ground down the nut slightly to fit that wrench. As good as new. :thumbup:

Back