• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Old Carpet

JBXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got new replacement carpeting for my 1996 XJ Sport for ten dollars. For those who have replaced the interior carpeting of their XJ before, is their something special I need to do with the center console, etc. to get it pulled and new stuff placed in? I've done some simple interior stuff before like pulling the seats, but I'd like to know what I'm getting into before I start.

Thanks.

The more you remove the easier it will be to replace. Good time to check and fix rust, run some cable and or wiring and maybe some sound proofing...

The bolt that holds the front inboard passenger seat belt runs through a bracket on the underside of the body that holds the O2 sensor wiring against the tranny tunnel. If you forget, the driveshaft will throw the bracket against the tranny tunnel a couple of times to remind you. :doh: Hopefully, before tearing the wiring to shreds.

You will need to pull all of the seats and center console to replace the carpet. The rear seat belt bolts are a major pain to remove. I would suggest cutting the carpeting to get it around the seat belts rather than trying to remove the bolts. They have a torx head that is sure to strip before you have them removed.

Be prepared to find rust as well. This is what I found in my 96:

http://community.webshots.com/album/546407898YOinfB

Thanks for the feedback; particularly about the O2 sensor wiring, spaulman. I'll take a look at the rust situation too. Montanaman, I lucked into this through a lady at work that has an XJ and an uncle who works at a dealership. He got it for her, but she kept her XJ clean enough then she didn't need it. I'm pretty impressed because she has 183K on it! It looks like the good stuff. It came in a Mopar box and from the picture she took of it, it appears to be molded. Later fellas and thanks.

Back