• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing mech fan with stock aux fan

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at getting rid of the stock clutch fan and wanted to know if any one has ever ran 2 aux fans and if so how would it work. I have been searching and looked at the taurus fan but want an easy mod the less work the better.

I doubt that the stock aux fan will flow anywhere near enough air to keep an XJ cool.

I've read of some ppl doing it successfully but I think it depends on your location/climate. That being said, i'd want both of the fans to be the newer model 10 blade s shaped fans to even try it.

I'm running dual stock e-fans on my 90 with the closed system. It works good. The replacement fan is from a 96 XJ and I have both fans wired through seperet relays that is switched by a Hayden controller that is set on 190. No issues keeping cool at all, in fact my closed system always runs cool so I actually wanted it to run hotter and the dual fans really did not change anything.

Works fine. Here's a writeup in the FAQs:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=983427
He uses a really nice multi-speed controller which saves electricity(less alternator/battery draw) and theoretically saves wear and tear on the fan motors.

As stated above, look for the late model fan. It's a little more efficient at moving air because of blade design and tighter shrouding.

Back