• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing exhaust question

linksvu

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, gents...

The question:
What be your suggestion on replacing my exhaust?

Details:
'98, 4.0l, AW4, 100% stock
Cat is falling apart, needs to be replaced, rest of exhaust just ok
CO car, no rust issues, mixed driving conditions
Want to keep the XJ in the family until wheels fall off

My initial thoughts for options:
  1. Simply replace cat
  2. Full cat and back replacement, OEM or like
  3. Full cat and back replacement, aftermarket/upgrade
  4. Header back replacement, aftermarket/upgrade (can't see going OEM or like for headers)

What are your thoughts? Budget is a factor but not a deal breaker. Meaning, I'd like it $1k or under.

Most times the exhaust pieces rust/wear out unequally. The farther back in the exhaust system the faster they rust out.

I replace them as they go bad, most after market are inferior to OEM. OEM replacements are generally way over priced. I always figure I can get 2-3 Walker replacements for the price if one OEM replacment part.

Crossover pipe rarely if ever rusts out. If it gets damaged and has to be replaced, finding a replacement, that actually fits, can be interesting.

Your 98 may be under warranty for the Cat, or at least a recall? I'm not sure which years are covered. Getting the Dealership to actually do the job under the recall may be next to impossible.

APN header from ineedparts.com $159
Any decent Cat $150 or less
Iron Rock Off-road cat-back exhaust $99
2 new NTK O2 sensors $75

Last edited:
Well there are some mixed suggestions...

Any benefits to replacing the whole header-back system at 230k? It seems like it's either go all-out or just replace the cat.

The cat converter has a service life of about 150,000 miles. Most XJ Cherokees have a cracked exhaust manifold.

standard.jpg

I replaced majority of the exhaust on my 93 for about $300. I bought a cat and Thrush welded muffler from summit, about $150ish. Took it to a local performance muffler shop they fabbed up the rest and installed it for about another $150. I goes from the header all the way back with new steel pipe. I also ordered a new O2 sensor from rockauto for $20. I could have paid a little more and the muffler shop would have made it nice with rubber bushings and stuff. Keep in mind unless you have your own welder, you would still have to pay someone to fab up one of those "cat back kits". Personally, I wouldn't spend money on pre made aftermarket exhaust. After I dropped major coin on one only to have it not fit properly or start to tarnish/rust way to early I said forget it. Also it's a jeep, I don't care how shinny a part is, I only care about how many times can I hit it with a rock before it breaks.

I did it piecemeal (mostly). High-flow Magnaflow cat gave the most noticeable performance gain (butt dyno). Borla universal muffler gave a nice sound without being too loud. Nice quality headers will last longer than the stock style but won't last forever, you need a flex pipe and new motor mounts to really stretch it out. A hotrod exhaust shop with high-quality stainless and a mandrel bender did the tail pipe. Its a lot of money for a good solution, or for doing cheap over and over.

I'm liking Tim's suggestion, thinking I could have a full replacement for around $500, giving it both longevity and a little boost.

Thanks gents. Always open to more suggestions though...

FYI, if you look at the IRO site. the "cat-back kit" is 99$ just for the pipe. Everything else is extra.
SO, for a little more money, I would also pick a muffler of your choice (I recommend Magnaflow, AeroTurbine, Spintech) and find a good local exhaust shop to mandrel bend you up a tail pipe, if that is what you want. I personally am over looking at tail pipes, so I usually do a turndown somewhere.
performance-curve.com offers a decent price XJ cat-back system, so there is another option as far as exhaust goes.

Back