• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing D30 non dicso axle seal

skog

NAXJA Forum User
My front left axle seal is leaking quite bad. I am not sure how to replace them. I am fairly mechinical savy. I can change u-joints, brakes, hub bearings etc but am not sure how to change the seal. How much am i looking at for parts for the new seals. Is this a difficult job that requires any special tools. does it involve resetting the carrier and gears? sould i just take it to the shop and let them do it? instead of replacing the inner seals could i just use the seals from jeepin'.com and them top off with fluid.

here is the link for the jeepin' seals http://jeepin.com/features/axleseals/index.asp

thanks
skog

The seals themselves are only $5 each.But to get to them the front axle must be pulled apart,The carrier must come out.The seals can be pulled out and new ones pressed in.My friend has a tool that expands and pushes the seals in.
The new seals may not solve the problem if the axle shaft has a groove(sp) worn into it.New stock axle are around $130 each.
The carrier should not need to be reset unless you mess with the shims or bearings.
Don,t know about the other type seals.
Wayne

ok but how easy is it to do this change? can somebody give me a walk through on how to do it? would the end seals fix my prob very well? as they are much easier to put in? thanks
skog

Yup, time consuming and difficult. It was a little easier when I had to do it all over again 'cause I screwed up the seals putting them in. But I did it, and now it is fixed!

Back