• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing a bad front wheel u-joint

Hallo. I find out that doing the U-joints, my bench vice was too small.
So I build very quick and cheap a press..
Maybe done before, but useful too try. :confused1

'92 XJ

Nice setup Wim.

If your hubs are being difficult, do this - http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm .

A ball joint press will make changing u-joints fast and simple. You can borrow one from most parts stores or buy your own for use on the 4x4 trails.

Hallo Tim_MN.

You can see on my pic , the axle is different. There is a big collar on it, so it is not exposed for putting a bolt or something like that between them.
The only possibility was maybe to put a piece of steel in the joint itself.
But the job with the 2 wedges was also going well. The space between the collar and the steeringknuckle was 1,5" and the wedges are fitting between . :doh:

'92 XJ

Hallo Tim_MN.

You can see on my pic , the axle is different. There is a big collar on it, so it is not exposed for putting a bolt or something like that between them.
The only possibility was maybe to put a piece of steel in the joint itself.
But the job with the 2 wedges was also going well. The space between the collar and the steeringknuckle was 1,5" and the wedges are fitting between . :doh:

'92 XJ

sorry for the not existing pic.

Back