• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing 1.5 DIN Radio

Pretty much how mine looks as well. I'm not too picky, my paint on the hood, header panel and passenger side fender suck. It's a jeep, a daily driver and an off road beater on weekends. If I were entering it in a show I'd be more concerned.

FordGuy said:
What's wrong with my user name? I was to lame to come up with anything else.
lol, I assumed when I saw it was Ford GP or whatever that early military one was.

Still laughing, cuz that would be really cool if you had one.

Also, I thought my own 1.0 din looks great, like the pics above. My opinion might suck from time to time, but wtfhell, the 1 din looks fine.

Those 1.5s are dorky. They look like they were, "Modified to fit your screen."
All squished up and fake.

mrfreakinwhite said:
lol, I assumed when I saw it was Ford GP or whatever that early military one was.

Still laughing, cuz that would be really cool if you had one.

Also, I thought my own 1.0 din looks great, like the pics above. My opinion might suck from time to time, but wtfhell, the 1 din looks fine.

Those 1.5s are dorky. They look like they were, "Modified to fit your screen."
All squished up and fake.

There is one upside of the 1.5 units, ventilation, they have alot more 'air' room inside, the components are not packed quite so densly as the 1.0 size, the 2.0 units with the DVD stuff though are packed tight, that extra .5 is for the LCD screen to fit in and they tend to block air flow UP and out which is where heat wants to go. Just being technically picky :D :D :D

The main problem IMO with the aftermarket headunits is how ugly they are. Most of them are silver and all kinds of nasty colors. Even if they're black, they still have a chrome knob and red and blue lighting. Freaking grotesque. I have a Sony in mine that the previous owner put in and I need to get rid of it. Now if only there was a good looking 1.5 DIN headunit with an AUX input.

winkosmosis said:

Not a clue, thats what bothers me about the new vehicles, they are tying those head units into the vehicle so you are stuck with it, not to mention they are allowing the designers to integrate it into the physical design of the dash. I was looking at a scion this morning that a friend of my wifes just got. That radio is actually part of the dash and has wiring going back to the center console for iPod and aux inputs, not my idea of customizable and I thought that was the idea and main selling point of the scions.

Hammered said:
Waterproof one, WITH WEATHERBAND. on ebay... I sorta wish I got this one. I have the Pioneer one listed earlier in the thread. Works great... But not loud.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-1-5-DIN-WEATHER-BAND-MARINE-RADIO-CD-MP3-RECEIVER_W0QQitemZ180274884724QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180274884724&_trkparms=72%3A1071%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

The killer for me on that one would be no bluetooth and no USB, to me USB is more preferable than a CD player. USB does not skip :D :D :D

RichP said:
The killer for me on that one would be no bluetooth and no USB, to me USB is more preferable than a CD player. USB does not skip :D :D :D
Even better is hooking up an iPod through AUX. I specified iPod because there's no good alternative to the control wheel for navigating your music while driving.

Does that Pyle marine radio have an aux input? The eBay listing says it has RCA output but I wonder if they mean input. It would definitely have to be painted black.

riverfever said:
just out of curiosity...what's the problem with using an adapter to fit a 1 DIN?

it's not really that they look bad, its just that they are all plastic and very flimsy

i tried a commercially produced one, it was garbage and didn't hold the radio secure

i ended up making one out of wood, it looks great and they radio doesn't budge

I had an older version of the big Pioneer (DEH-P77x) in the old Dakota and loved it. That thing was rock solid. Best if used with amp(s); 22w RMS probably wouldn't do much in the loud-azz XJ cabin. The 4V pre-outs sound nice with quality amplification. The dedicated sub-out gets rid of the need for an outboard crossover. I might be talking myself back into a new one(old one was stolen from truck). The performance outweighed the looks, plus the price was right.

Back