• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced Front Hub/bearing assembly now have a CLUNK!

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
Last year I replaced the right side hub/bearing assembly and shortly after I experienced a big CLUNK! when I am pulling into a parking spot or backing out of the parking spot. I did not relate the hub assembly to this noise until 2 days ago. 2 days ago I replaced the left front hub/bearing assembly and now I am getting a CLUNK! from that side of the Jeep. The only thing I noticed when installing the new hub assembly is when I torqued the axle shaft nut to 175ft/lbs the dust seal around the hole where I push my axle shaft into is about 1/4 of an inch away from the mating surface. Could this mean that my axleshaft is not in all the way and somehow on slow speed turns it can clunk? I am quite sure I have the right assembly (cast rotors/cast hub assembly) because the other hub assembly I first tried to install would not fit. (I could not get my caliper back on). The after market assembly I bought is a top brand (BCA). The assembly I purchased last year is called an ATLAS. Both look identical to the OEM I took off. I did not do any measurements though. If this is not the source of my CLUNK! why would the axleshaft not push in all the way or am I doing something wrong?

What year XJ? I recently replaced my front with a BCA 513107 (pre 91 Renix model). I tightened mine down to around 200, felt something slip, like a bearing wasn´t seated all the way and then seated with the torque. Checked the rear race for the seal, it was at the right depth. probably wasn´t, before I torqued the bearing into place.
Noticed it felt stiff, so I backed mine off to 175 foot pounds. I beleive the recommended torque was 200 or there abouts, for the Renix, 175 for the later models. Though I may have it bassed ackwords.
Checked it again, the other day, everything seems fine and the turning resisitance is about the same as the other side. It was a little stiffer when it was first installed.
I also have a clunk. but the clunk is on the left and I replaced the right hub. I probably wasn´t hearing the ball joint clunk, because of the bearing roar, in the right front hub, before I replaced it. Might want to jack the wheels of the ground and rock the tire at the 12 and 6 Oclock positions and have a close look at the top ball joint. And/or play in your new hub bearing.
If you look on the BCA site, they have a one year guarantee, they require the original packing box, I´d guess for the bar code. If yours fails, mine or somebody else´s in the next year, we´ll know for sure, BCA is manufacutring some out of spec. and or flawed stuff. Entirely possible, there setup at the factory is a little off and/or there spec. sheets have an error. Won´t be the first time, I´ve gotten out of spec. parts.

Last edited:
My Jeep is a 2000XJ. I find it funny that two different hub assemblies made from two different manufacturers are giving me the same result. It is only when I tourque down the axle nut that the axle shaft will pull out a bit. Maybe I am doing something wrong?

My 89 xj has the same clunk from the right front wheel when I back out of a parking spot, cold. That hub assy was replaced about 5 years ago. Has been clunking over a year.

Is the clunking harmfull? Is it "The Clunk of Death"?

--Karl

Back