• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced brakes, now I have issues

Make sure to leave something in between the piston and the caliper to prevent the piston from popping all the way out. If you pump the brakes up and hold them hard, but they go down, it is either an external leak or a master cylinder internal leak. If you can't find a leaky line or piston, replace the master.

Well, I went out and took off the caliper and had my girl push the brake. The caliper definitely works. I put it back on and took her for a test drive.

All seems well now. Maybe the caliper got hung up or something. Strange. Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

Pascal's law states that when there is an increase in pressure at any point in a confined fluid, there is an equal increase at every other point in the container.

What this means is to get a spongy pedal you have air in the system or the MC has failed and is allowing fluid to bypass.

Shhhhhh, don't say that. My MC is just fine! *fingers crossed*

I'll be bleeding the fluid soon, so I'll know for sure what the deal is.

I keep two old chunks of brake line around that are doubled over and smashed flat on one end with the factory fittings on the other end. I screw these into a master cylinder (as plugs) and then pump the pedal till i get a firm feel. Then i hold pressure on the pedal. If it goes to the floor, bad MC. If not, the problem is elsewhere.

Now there's a good idea.

Be very careful with your brakes, Twinkletoes- I wrapped one car around a telephone pole after screwing up brake work (ignored a problem I was aware of for a day too long). Don't be like me.

Last edited:
Back