• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced brake caliper - issues

bigalpha

88 MJ, 2WD

Tried replacing my passenger side caliper with a new one due to this caliper not engaging properly. Everything was going OK until I tried bolting in the brake line to the caliper. Between the caliper and the brake line was leaking pretty bad so I re-bolted it to the old (original) caliper.

It still leaks. It didn't leak before. For now, I have the brake line clamped off so I don't drain the entire system overnight.

What to do?

Is this a case of needing a new brass crush washer? I don't suppose that's someone you can get at a place other than a parts store? It's now 9pm and they are all closed.

I don't know if it matters, but aren't those copper? "Help" section at an auto parts store at 7 in the morning; dunno otherwise.

I just replaced calipers and the crush washers were in the box. Remember it has 2 per brake line when you get some, an inner and outer washer. Old washers sometimes get stuck on there, ask me how I know.

I just replaced calipers and the crush washers were in the box. Remember it has 2 per brake line when you get some, an inner and outer washer. Old washers sometimes get stuck on there, ask me how I know.

yep. all the calipers we sell at the store i work at come with all new hardware including the banjo bolt washers. if they arnt in the box, a store which supplies parts to fix-it shops in the area should have a decent assortment of them. at least my shop does.

As said, check for an old washer still stuck on. Look under the head of the bolt as well.
Then also clean and very closely inspect the banjo bolt. If you overtighten them, you can split them along the internal holes.

If you have to go get more washers, I'd get replacement banjo bolts too.

i am suspecting a crack somewhere. if the washers were there, they should have sealed properly. copper is soft and will re-seal pretty easy. you can also heat the copper washers with a torch to make them expand again. this helps give them a better seal. old trick we use with copper head gaskets.

Back