• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replace your XJ?

CRASH said:
Land Cruiser.

<homer_drool/ >

FJ-80....

or maybe a G-wagen (the 1980s-90s models, not the luxo-boats).

If I had my time over maybe...

lockedstock94 said:
Uh..., I'd trade my XJ for a D-90 in a second. The $30,000 price difference is what's holding me back! If I hadn't stumbled onto my XJ for $1,500, I would never have gottin into XJs/wheelin.

-----Matt-----

lol did you read what some of these people said they would replace their xj's with, new grand cherokees would be one, and they cost um, 30-40g's? i for one, would never be able to afford that, but maybe in a few years when i would be thinking about replacing my xj, and i have more money, i would consider the defender, because they are sick

Root Moose said:
<homer_drool/ >

FJ-80....

or maybe a G-wagen (the 1980s-90s models, not the luxo-boats).

If I had my time over maybe...

I must have been asleep when I wrote my earlier reply... you and I have similar taste.

Hummer H1

Interesting ideas. No one has stated why they would choose their particular vehicle. I'm thinking that a Toyota Tacoma would be a good replacement. I think they would be a good choice because, an extended cab or four door model would give plenty of inside room, the fuel economy isn't too bad, they are not too expensive, there are plenty of aftermarket parts, a solid axle swap is very doable, they have good power and they are reliable.

What do y'all think?

Ralph said:
Interesting ideas. No one has stated why they would choose their particular vehicle. I'm thinking that a Toyota Tacoma would be a good replacement. I think they would be a good choice because, an extended cab or four door model would give plenty of inside room, the fuel economy isn't too bad, they are not too expensive, there are plenty of aftermarket parts, a solid axle swap is very doable, they have good power and they are reliable.

What do y'all think?

I agree Ralph... essentially what the MJ should have evolved into.

Lawn Cher' said:
Compliments of daddy?

compliments of hard work and a bankloan. :rattle:

93-97 Land Cruiser (FZJ80).

4.5L inline six with 300K+ mile reputation, auto transmission, AWD. Full float rear axle, solid front, radius arm front and four link rear. Axles can handle 35's stock and you only need 4" of lift with no trimming (35's would be no problem on OME with a little bit of work). Quad coil.

Factory front and rear electric lockers. 4.10 stock gears. 33's fit stock, and very nicely with 2.5" OME (35's would look better, though). Hand throttle and center diff lock (to lock the center when not in low range) are factory options.

For a DD/weekend warrior, you can put on 33's and be locked with 4.10 gears and axles you don't have to worry about. Just add sliders and bumpers (stuff in the 80 series Cruiser world is crazy expensive, though...$750+ for sliders).

The 80 is the perfect successor to the XJ. They feel eerily similar...stepping up to the 80 was like putting on an old pair of shoes that still have a ton of miles left on 'em. My 80 with OME and 33's is everything I had always wanted my XJ to be. I'm not going to touch it except for some tube bumpers.

It's a bit large for the extreme crowd, but if you can find a really built 80, they tend to sell for less than stockers due to the lack of aftermarket crowd. I've seen 80 series in great shape with 6" lift, 37" tires, and all the goodies going for $10K - $11K.

Good to see some old timers...been a long time since I've been here...would love to get out on the trail even though I'm now XJ-less.

Nay

Nay said:
Good to see some old timers...been a long time since I've been here...would love to get out on the trail even though I'm now XJ-less.

Nay

You're always welcome Dave.

Back