• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replace hatch - wires?

Simo

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the smashed fiberglass hatch on my '96, and the wires for the new hatch have been cut (speakers, 3rd brake light, license plate light, but i dont have rear washer/wiper). It looks like there are plugs down in the rear driver's quarter panel cavity and of course the plugs down in the bottom of the hatch. But the opening in the top of the hatch is small - doesnt look like the plugs will pull through. Also the grommet is rivetted in place.

Is there a plug somewhere that Im missing inside the vehicle or within the hatch to easily disconnect for the swap? Or do I need to cut my wires and solder them to the wires in the new hatch? Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Iv'e pulled them through before. It's a painful ordeal but it can be done. Drill out the rivet and use a hanger. If you run the hanger first and connect a long, strong string you can keep attaching single wires one at a time. start w/ the biggest plugs first. I added pwr/tail gate, rear wiper/washer and used the complete harness from another gate except speaker wires because I have a sound bar.

The plugs are inside the vehicle behind the top trim. I seem to recall that there are two of them, but both can be gotten by removing the trim. My 95 FSM doesn't show the location, but as I recall you can find them without too much trouble.

purplexj said:
Iv'e pulled them through before. It's a painful ordeal but it can be done. Drill out the rivet and use a hanger. If you run the hanger first and connect a long, strong string you can keep attaching single wires one at a time. start w/ the biggest plugs first. I added pwr/tail gate, rear wiper/washer and used the complete harness from another gate except speaker wires because I have a sound bar.

Thanks for the tip, ive got the other hatch on now and the wires transferred.

Back