• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX poll

Do you have a RENIX ECU?

• Total voters
Oh, I'm sure about the signal theory - I got that right from the RENIX FI manual. I'm just not sure about the reason for doing so - was it to build a valid signal base, or for lubrication?

I'm also sure about the SYNC signal not being fully necessary, through experimentation. I've tried it out simply by disconnecting the distributor and then starting the engine - it took a little longer to start, but it happened.

Interestingly, the RENIX system will also tolerate (with the SYNC signal hooked up) loosening the distributor clamp and turning the distributor fully 180* degrees either way - the engine ran without a hiccup. Riddle me that...

5-90

I've never had any problems that were not easy to identify. plus like said before I run a stroker and the knock sensor alows it to run much smoother.

5-90 said:
Oh, I'm sure about the signal theory - I got that right from the RENIX FI manual. I'm just not sure about the reason for doing so - was it to build a valid signal base, or for lubrication?

I'm also sure about the SYNC signal not being fully necessary, through experimentation. I've tried it out simply by disconnecting the distributor and then starting the engine - it took a little longer to start, but it happened.

Interestingly, the RENIX system will also tolerate (with the SYNC signal hooked up) loosening the distributor clamp and turning the distributor fully 180* degrees either way - the engine ran without a hiccup. Riddle me that...

5-90
If I'm correct the sync sensor allows the ECU to time the injector pulses to when the intake valve opens for each cylinder. It's not essential, it just makes the motor run better. if the sugnal is not there the ECU guesses at the injector sequence. if it guesses wrong you'll get injectors firing onto closed intake valves.
That's my understanding from the Renix manual. I may be wrong.

87manche said:
If I'm correct the sync sensor allows the ECU to time the injector pulses to when the intake valve opens for each cylinder. It's not essential, it just makes the motor run better. if the sugnal is not there the ECU guesses at the injector sequence. if it guesses wrong you'll get injectors firing onto closed intake valves.
That's my understanding from the Renix manual. I may be wrong.

Half marks. What the SYNC sensor does, in essence, is to let the ECU know which three cylinders will fire on that crankshaft revolution. It's got a 180* sweep - the first section (the first crankshaft revolution) is the #1 cylinder and following, and the second revolution covers the other three (I don't recall the firing order offhand.) Naturally, the flywheel/flexplate and associated sensor doesn't identify WHICH cylinder, and the timing notches only give "one of two" without identifying WHICH two.

The RENIX system, with all its quirks, is still something I find less complex and easier to diagnose/service than OBD - but that might be a quirk of the mechanic doing the work instead (I've often said I was odd. If you only knew...)

Another intersting factoid - the distributor itself has NOTHING WHATEVER to do with ignition timing! All it does it route the spark about - which was the core of my idea to adapt the GM V6/DIS system to the AMC inline six series (which should give the benefit of enhanced programmability.) It's a "blue sky" goal, but I'd sooner see GM electronics than ChryCo - they're easier to work on, easier to update/upgrade, and parts are usually rather cheaper.

5-90

Back