• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix missing issue

That was recommended earlier in this thread. I do intend to do it but after swapping the #3 injector last night with no change I am leaning toward it not being gunked up.

driving it hard may have rocked the engine enough in it's mounts to reconnect whatever was loose.

Just some general Renix musings:

Replace the ground strap, even if it looks decent.

Install a new ground strap from the passenger side wiring harness to the passenger side motor mount, or one of the brackets if it's not convenient to take the motor mount off.

If you've not yet checked the wiring loom under the coolant "football" check it now for corrosion, that piece of duct tape (yes I'm serious, I pulled duct tape out of my wiring harness) AMC used to protect the crimped connections was great.

Check the ground under the dash, it's usually crappy. If you turn on the heater motor and the volt gauge takes a 3 V hit then this ground needs attention.

Most every single problem either of my 87's have had is related to crappy wiring. The Renix ECU is bombproof, adaptable and will generally make the motor run no matter what as long as it has MAP and CPS signals. I suppose it's possible that you've got a driver circuit that's gone bad in the ECU. I took mine apart once, it's all discrete components soldered to a circuit board, it would be easy to fix the driver circuit if that's the problem.

At this point I think you need a noid light (harbor friehgt has it cheap) to make sure that the injector is receiving a pulse from the ECU.

Stick your head up under the driver side dash and look toword the left kick panel. You'll see a black wire attached to the kneebar kinda where an underdash lamp mounts.

Stick your head up under the driver side dash and look toword the left kick panel. You'll see a black wire attached to the kneebar kinda where an underdash lamp mounts.

yes, in addition to cleaning it consider doubling it up or just replacing it with a proper sized wire. It's undersized from the factory. I replaced it with a chunk of 10 GA wire and all the interior stuff works way better, especially the blower motor.

yes, in addition to cleaning it consider doubling it up or just replacing it with a proper sized wire. It's undersized from the factory. I replaced it with a chunk of 10 GA wire and all the interior stuff works way better, especially the blower motor.

Ooh, good to know!!! I'll try it.

Back