• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RENIX idle adjustment screw?

Muad'Dib said:
Ok i think we are getting things mixed up. You stated in the post above that if i was to adjust the "idle air bypass" i would need to re-adjust the TPS. The TPS's position would not be changed by opening the "screw" that is on the lower portion of the tb on the drivers side (which is the screw i thought we were on the same page about calling "idle air bypass"). The throttle plate's "stop" (that is there only to supposidly stop the throttle plate from hitting the inside of the TB) would be the one that would effect the TPS if adjusted. Im not talking about messing with this "stop" only the idle air bypass.
For all i know, its supposed to be tight as i have it now... im uncertain on weither or not it even plays a role in the system...

EDIT!!!!

Sorry i read your post again, and i understand better.

We could be talking past ourselves here a bit. The throttle stop will hold the throttle plate open, if adjusted to do so, it is kind of a gross adjustment though. The idle air bypass, is the finer adjustment.

6q9ordi.png

6z91bux.png

6wrv8dl.png

Blow through the quarter inch hole on the top of the TB, while turning the idle air bypass screw counter clockwise. More air will bypass the throttle plate through the orifice. A dab of RTV will keep the screw from vibrating out, when/if you are satisfied with the adjustment.

8fa06l0.png

71qzyb6.png

You can make fine idle adjustments (if the ECU and IAC will let you) without affecting the TPS adjustment. If you run out of out of fine (idle air bypass) adjustment, you may have to readjust the throttle stop to open the throttle plate a little more, readjust the TPS and start over agian.

Clear as Mud :)

Sorry about the double post.

Uping your idle a little may use a bit more gas, but then again may help keep the motor from fouling as quickly during stop and go driving. I feel fortunate to get 15 MPG city driving, I sit a lot in traffic. The Renix doesn't work well over 600 RPM (around 500 RPM seems fairly normal for the Renix), the auto tranny wants to creep pretty hard and can take a good bit of brake pressure to keep it from driving forward. My 96 auto doesn't seem to want to push nearly as much at 650 RPM, I'm thinking there may be some minor valving/idle pressure differences in the trannies.

Last edited:
Back