• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing MJ rear window

bzdel2441

NAXJA Forum User
I want to pull out the rear window of my MJ so that I could fix a little spot of rust that is starting, plus I can then have it replaced with a new window after I am done. I have bought a new rubber gasket for it to so its ok if I trash this current one. So how do I go about pullnig out the old window?

Thanks
Chris

My old one was glued on with silicone. I wasn't the one to remove it though and I'm not sure how the shop got it off. Try asking over at comancheclub.com I bet someone there has removed theirs.
Jeep on!
--Pete

www.eastwood.com has a great device for removing windshields. Try their website. It looks like a very thin piece of wire that has a handle on both ends. You drill a tiny hole through the seal or glue and insert one end of the wire. Then wrap it around its handle and pull it along the seal. In essence it cuts off the seal making for easy removal.
One handle is inside the car and the other is outside. reach one hand in, the other one out and pull on them both draging it along the seal.

If your putting a new back glass in it and a new gasket what does it matter?
If you want to save the gasket and glass here is what you do.
from the inside at the top, in one of the corners, start to move the corner of the gasket down and away from the pinch weld, while doing this push lightly on the corner of the glass you will see it move a little bit. While keeping light pressure on the glass start to move along the top pulling the gasket away from the pinch weld as before then slide your hand over and put pressure on the glass in that area. then move down the side doing the same thing. Or if you only need to save the glass, from the inside cut the rubber gasket from around the pinch weld and push the glass out. You might want to have someone hold the glass so it wont fall out and break

Sorry I forgot . That tool wont work that is only for windows that are set in butyl or uerathane.Mostly windsheilds.

my buddy sat reverse and put both feet on the window (back against the dash) and pushed it out. seemed easy enough from where i was standing...but he did say that in ten attempts at this (learned the trick from doing it to volkswagens) he has broke five...so... 50% it'll break until you get the knack.
just an option if yer not keeping the glass it might be fun to try.

Back