• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relays kicking out

I've noticed that this 96 has quite a few oddities, especially in the wiring. Plugs, locations of wires and what not.
Now when you say security do you mean a security system, or security of the program?
Also, I've seen the word "flashed" thrown around a lot. Is that something that can be done at home with an auto x-ray? Is flashing the same as resetting?
Perhaps the parts guy will have one of those years.

Why would a good used PCM need to be re-flashed ?

96 was the transition between OBD I and II and also the newer body stlye. I can't confirm that a 97/98 PCM will not function in a 1996, but everything I have seen discussed notes that a 1996 PCM is only replaced by another 1996 PCM.

Copule of clarifying questions for you...

1.What position is your ignition key, and your A/C selector switch in when you insert the relays?

2. Exactly what problem are you troubleshooting?

Someone please correct me if I am wrong , but your Electric Fan will only come on when the motor temp gets up to around 195 degrees F., or you turn on the A/C.

The A/C clutch wont engage if your pressure is low.

1. On and on.
2. A/C, aux fan, fog lights.
All behave the same way.
When checking, magnet side has power, switch side can be jumped making desired component operate. However When relay is plugged in component will operate for a fraction of a second then relay will kick off. Click click, unplug, plug in, Click on click off (fast). Unplug, plug in, click on, click off.
If a ground is added to the negative side of the magnet side of the fan relay, then relay plugged in, fan will operate full time.

Start your XJ and let it idle while you watch your temp guage and electric fan. Run the engine up to full operating temp around 215 degrees F. (raise the idle speed if need be) and see if the PCM ever turns on your fan when things get hot enough.

It will not. I ran the temp just up to the red and no e-fan. Also jumping the therm switch does not activate it. Unplugging and jumping the therm switch does make the jeep through the CEL. It will not start back up till therm switch is un-jumped and plugged back in.

Worked great for awhile. Now I've got tranny codes as follows;
p0753 shift solenoid A electrical'
p0713 tranz fluid temp sensor high input,
p1763 governor pressure sensor voltage too high,
p1765 tranz 12v supply control circuit fault.
.....BUT WHAT DO THEY MEAN ALL TOGETHER?
SOMEONE HEEEELP MEEE I HAVE A FLAT AW4... in my best gecko voice.
I'm thinking a solenoid(A) replace. Any thoughts?

Got the correct PCM and everything except the tranny started working properly, E-fan, A/C, fog lights. I think the tranny is a combination of TCM and solenoids. Swapped the TCM and 1, 2, 3, worked but OD was not acting right. So I omed the solenoid and it did not check out. I have a fresh set on the way.

Back