• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Registration?

A tow rigs insurance covers what is being towed while being towed on the road.

And the parks we ride in do not require insurance.

So a non insured / non registered rig is is cool with NAXJA as long as it is towed there, that is how I interpret the above........

This>>>
  1. NAXJA expects each event participant to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and for the roads and trails traveled for the event. NAXJA is not responsible for assuring an entrant's vehicle is legal for the roads and trails traveled in the event.

This >>>
All vehicles must have the following equipment to attend the off road portion of :NAXJA: MWC sponsored events:
• Legally required automobile insurance and registration;

I see the confusion.

The first clearly defines when registration and insurance is required. It also states that NAXJA will not be enforcing the requirement.

The second could be interpreted to mean that everyone needs both and that the NWC will be checking for said insurance and registration. That is a clear deviation from the National policy.

I believe Brian's interpretation of the rule is correct.

When in doubt, use the wording which best meets the intention of the rule, even if it takes a couple more lines :D

As for the winch line issue, KISS. Teach people on the trail the right way as examples come along. Trail leaders should have everything that is required to recover a vehicle safely, and should ideally supervise a recovery effort in their group to make sure it is done safely. Participants should atleast have the basics.

Ron

Last edited:
No one is going to refuse you running in an event with a non-registered, non-insured vehicle as we do not know the laws of the state you live in.

Yes, trail leaders and gunners are required to observe, and direct all recovery actions at an event, but sometimes people don't wait. This rule was put into place to make sure that the owner of a winch at least has, and hopefully uses, the minimum safety equipment needed. Truth be told, if you own a winch you should also have tree savers, shackles, and a snatch block.

The only changes to the MWC bylaws were the requirements for a CB, gloves, and something to reduce whip back, and a clarification of the tow hook mounts.

These changes were a DIRECT result of the things that were mentioned to the MWC-BOD at WF, we are here to serve YOU, we have responded to YOUR concerns.

Rev

[*]NAXJA expects each event participant to carry insurance and registration sufficient to meet the legal requirements of their vehicle state of residence and forthe roads and trails traveled for the event. NAXJA is not responsible for assuring an entrant's vehicle is legal for the roads and trails traveled in the event.
[/LIST]

this is the answer to the whole conversation. I get my jeep to the trail/event legally with my tow rig, and the badlands don't require plates/insurance to wheel there.

like stated above, if we were to have an event at Redbird, then they require plates/insurance, thus making NAXJA require plates/insurance for that event.

thanks

EXACTLY Dan. The original posters (Dan) question has been answered and the other horses have been beat.

re: Indiana Law

Indiana DOES require an offroad vehicle to be registered. It's a weird situation here though. Take some counties that allow registering of quads for on road use but ONLY for agricultural use... lol
Anyway, a vehicle run on state owned land MUST be registered! That includes quads. It must either have a state BMV registration so the vehicle can be driven on or off road, those require insurance. Vehicles not driven on the road (ie towed, not street leagal) require a DNR registration which costs $30 a year. You must present a bill of sale when registering an off road vehicle with DNR. It also must have a VIN number. Not sure how DNR handles home built stuff but I am sure a call to them would get an answer.
Anyway thats the short of it. To see more on the law you can look up the specifics on an of the states DNR SRA sites.

JS

Just to add fuel to the fire, I would never operate a vehicle with out insurance.
On road or off road.
I am going down a hill, the race car brakes lines (non DOT) I use rupture.
I take off down the hill and slam into some one and injure them.
They go to the hospital, six weeks and $50,000 dollars later they come home.
They are in rehab for six months, meanwhile, they can't work.
Their family needs to be supported. $4000.00 per month?
Lets do the math....
$50,000.00 - hospital bill
$1000.00 / day X six months - rehab
$4000.00 / month X 12, 18? months - house payment, food, electric bill, tap dance lessons for the kids, etc.

Add it up, I can't afford to pay some one that kind of money out of my own pocket.

Now, lets say the person is a good friend of yours before this happens, now they are in the hospital all mangled up, lots of time to think about stuff.
Now they want $10,000,000.00 pain and suffering and "loss of quality of life" because they cant get it up any more.....

OK, you have some kind of XJ remnant. You insure it as a 1998 XJ, the above scenario happens to you.
Your insurance company, not you agent that you drink beer with, but one of their cronies, comes out to look at the rig.
He sees Dana 60s, 40" tires and cutting breaks and says, "This is a highly modified vehicle, it is no longer a 1998 Jeep. We can't cover this. Sorry"

Now a terrible situation just got worse....

Now let's say that the mangled person dies....
His kids still get to go to college.....

Sucks doesn't it.

I am glad my insurance agent was honest with me. if yours is telling you other wise, he is just taking your money.

Sorry to be like this, but it is the society we live in now.

Sure Sean- I agree. Around here you can't even have a vehicle just sitting in your drive W/O plates, and it is a great idea to have insurance on or Off-Road to protect the other guy.

But that wasn't the question, was it?

The question was whether NAXJA requires that you have registration and insurance to attend an event

...and the answer is no, we do not.

The Park that the event is held at may require it [Redbird for example], but NAXJA as a Club does not.

Ron

Just to add fuel to the fire, I would never operate a vehicle with out insurance.
On road or off road.
I am going down a hill, the race car brakes lines (non DOT) I use rupture.
I take off down the hill and slam into some one and injure them.
They go to the hospital, six weeks and $50,000 dollars later they come home.
They are in rehab for six months, meanwhile, they can't work.
Their family needs to be supported. $4000.00 per month?
Lets do the math....
$50,000.00 - hospital bill
$1000.00 / day X six months - rehab
$4000.00 / month X 12, 18? months - house payment, food, electric bill, tap dance lessons for the kids, etc.

Add it up, I can't afford to pay some one that kind of money out of my own pocket.

Now, lets say the person is a good friend of yours before this happens, now they are in the hospital all mangled up, lots of time to think about stuff.
Now they want $10,000,000.00 pain and suffering and "loss of quality of life" because they cant get it up any more.....

OK, you have some kind of XJ remnant. You insure it as a 1998 XJ, the above scenario happens to you.
Your insurance company, not you agent that you drink beer with, but one of their cronies, comes out to look at the rig.
He sees Dana 60s, 40" tires and cutting breaks and says, "This is a highly modified vehicle, it is no longer a 1998 Jeep. We can't cover this. Sorry"

Now a terrible situation just got worse....

Now let's say that the mangled person dies....
His kids still get to go to college.....

Sucks doesn't it.

I am glad my insurance agent was honest with me. if yours is telling you other wise, he is just taking your money.

Sorry to be like this, but it is the society we live in now.

That! Full coverage on my XJ until its my second or third vehicle! Of course, Mine will never be a chopped up XJuggy either(well, most likely it wont be)!

Here in Wisconsin, you can get collector or hobby plates that cost a couple hundred or so $'s and you pay it only one time and the insurance (I believe my agent refered to it as 'parade insurance') at the time I was looking at this it was about $150 a year for full coverage. You can't drive on the road in Feb and you have to get an appraisal for your rig. They offer this to guys that have cars and trucks that only hit the road on special events.

I was looking to do this a few years ago when I had ol' blue. I didn't because I stripped/junked it and got this one from Jeff. Now, I'm starting to look at doing this again as I want to get another DD and I can't afford the full monty for 3 vehicles.

I'm on the same belief that SeanR follows. Really worth the peace of mind.

Back