• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

« Regearing/Relifting/RE6200- 35's DD Q's Ω

The stiffer coil does better offroad, and helps to provide more stability turning and with panic maneuvers, not to mention is less prone to be "too soft" after adding a heavy bumper and winch, which seems to happen down the road more often than you would expect.

The RE monotubes are not great, but aren't bad. I'd do bilstien 5150's. Great for the price.

I had originally wanted the 5100's rear and he 5150's front..

Been talked into and out of it manytimes now..

Also been told the OME's are the best.. so crap shoot between the 2.

Thought maybe i could get away with the re monotubes for now.. pretty much free. But then again you pay for what you get...

Im leaning towards the ACOS's less solution as i want a very streetable and panic manuverable ride. Thanks for the Input Cal and others...

Ive decided that the RE kit is the way to go due to cost.. now i need to determine the coil heights....

As i mentioned above. on some xj's the lift as is doesnt seem to be so tall, then the next one does...

Maybe this is a factor of how long the lift has been on?

or how much weight the rig is?

I have Warn Rockcrusher front bumper with full guard and M8000 winch, will have dual optimas as well.

Rear BPI tire carrier bumper, Nato gas can 5 gal 1/2 full, 35" tire and Hi lift jack out back [not all yet but eventualy]. Plus a sub a couple of amps and all the other stuff ill have back there.. OH and the ARB pump and the CO2 tank a 10# one. and tools and extra axles.. PLUSSSS i will be getting 2 BRITAX Regent car seats for the boys and they weigh about 30# each.. super awesome car seats..

and last but possibly not least i have the Tomken Gas tank Skid... WHEW!

so yeah in my head weight would be a factor in many ways.. including ride height, break in and eventual ride level.. responsiveness on road and general handling therfore also factoring the type and setting of the shock i get.

um ok thanks for those who read all the way through these long replies.....

Aaron

Last edited:
I think your overthinking this all.

Theres a reason people push bilstiens the way they do. Theres a reason people push RE the way they do.

Install both, wheel it a while, tune as you find something you dont like. You'll already be on a good solid platform for it, assuming you do something about steering. ;)

The OME shocks are great riding shocks highly recomend them for the road.
Downside is if you really want to flex out they will hold you back. I have the longest ones they make and it holds my rear from flexing along with the front too. I ride them around town all the time but when I do a planned trip I just take the time to swap out to some cheaper longer shocks ive got to get the flex i need. So to recap awesome shocks just wish they made them longer

cal said:
I think your overthinking this all.

Theres a reason people push bilstiens the way they do. Theres a reason people push RE the way they do.

Install both, wheel it a while, tune as you find something you dont like. You'll already be on a good solid platform for it, assuming you do something about steering. ;)

Suggestions for steering?

I am currently running the Currie correctlink and will obviously do the HD adjustable track bar and mount [not exactly stearing] was also planning on the stearing brace:
01.jpeg

Also the mount for the Warn front bumper braces to the side of the frame area similar to this on Jasons rig..
c-rok03.jpg

He then proceeds to mount the C-Rok and mounts the bumper over it...

c-rok13.jpg

Not sure if that is necessary for me, the warn bumper covers the area pretty well.

so other steering changes to the existing hardware [currie] would be the tie rod flip.. and new knuckles... maybe HD ball joints?

or Hydro steering LOL... well what i mean is.. what recomendation on steering ... besides a kit like ORO's.....

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of the currie steering. Its stronger but does not address the geometry with a tall lift. The joint at the top of the draglik is near is max movement when at ride height, and overextends when you droop, killing it fast.

JCR/Part's Mike "1 ton" setup is alright, and the best bang for the buck I think. I did a WJ conversion for the steering. U-Turn steering is good too.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=1TNST&Category_Code=S6

My steering:

steering.jpg

I found a decent picture of the ride hieght on mine. Its a old RE 6200 and this is loaded for the trail, spares, cooler, etc.

DSC00232.jpg

Like I said before its a little tall for the 33s, if/when I go with 35s I will lower it an inch so I will more or less have the same stance with the bigger tires.

I didn't have a 6200, but ended up with peice or peice nearly the exact same lift (different trackbar, and homebrew rear leafs, but same height).

This was loaded heavy and with 32" tires.

85%20lost%20driver.jpg

soooo no thoughts on the added wieght?

Its almost 1200# more than stock or bare just above the axles...

Maybe ill go OME.. i want a nice ride and good emergency handling....

Bilstiens would be great but noone offers any deals on them: $320 from summit for the 5100's

OK so i reread the whole thread:

35's
4.88's
RE6200
ill try to get some bilstiens if not ill go re monotubes due to pricing
beef the steering up and make a few changes there

pull the ACOS's

um
run a CO2 tank and ARB comp. for the lockers...

Thanks guys for you input...

Aaron

aroncull said:
um
run a CO2 tank and ARB comp. for the lockers...

If you want to reconside that CO2 tank (I've used a friend's, wasn't real impressed) you could PM XJBANKER about his Viair system he just installed. It's similar to the one on ericsxj.com, but he mounted it driver's side instead. Has a regulator for the ARB's, airtank mounted just forward of the gas tank, and the compressor and all plumbing are concealed behind the plastic panel. It's a sweet setup, if you're interested maybe he could shoot you some pics...

aroncull said:
soooo no thoughts on the added wieght?

Its almost 1200# more than stock or bare just above the axles...

Maybe ill go OME.. i want a nice ride and good emergency handling....

Bilstiens would be great but noone offers any deals on them: $320 from summit for the 5100's

OME are too soft and too short for that lift.

Rusty's Offroad has the best deal on bilstiens, if he can manage to put 4 of the correct product in a box and ship it. ;)

I think last check 5150's were like $89.

-C

Thanks for you time Cal.. youve been very helpfull...

Yeah i am leary of rusties LOL
but now remember that they do sell'em.

i may have to run the RE mono's for now.. no biggie they are free.. so my up front caost will be lower then i can get the bilstiens later and ill really be able to tell the difference LOL....

THANKS!!

Back