• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Refurbished laptops?

BigRedJeepster0381

NAXJA Member #1011
I'm looking into buying a used laptop, but it needs to be in great shape, have both a CDRW and DVD drive, and not cost me an arm and a leg. Does anybody have any tips (eBay doesn't seem to be the answer.) Maybe if someone here even wants to get rid of theirs and has what I'm looking for, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your help.

P.S. I'd preferably like a HP, Dell, IBM, or Gateway.

Have you checked the Dell Refurb site?

Get a Dell. Refurbs from them are great because they come with a GREAT warranty. I've had my dell laptop for a year now, and have had two bad batteries and a bad DVD drive. None of these can be blamed on dell - I dropped the DVD drive and abused the hell out of the batteries. They replaced them right away. Only problem is trying to understand what the guy in india is talking about. :rolleyes: They sent all 3 parts to my overnight, I didn't even have to return the old ones. They also have some pretty good deals - look for sales, they have alot of them.

oh. On that budget, it will likely be Used, not a Refurb. Unless you find something pretty darned old like a P3, or cheap like an old celeron.

Good luck.

Have you checked out Newegg.com or tigerdirect.com? Maybe overstock.com?

I would suggest a Dell, Toshiba (what I have.. picked up a used Satellite 1.033 Celeron with DVD-rom,256 megs of ram for $500) or an IBM. For the price you are looking for I doubt you will find one with a CD-R but if you find a used on with USB then pick up an external USB burner for $50-80.

T

BTW... you have a PM!

i would say tiger direct....a friend of mine picked up a new hp (the ones with the full keyboard) for i think 1200 bucks, and it even has the cd burner and everythinmg....only thing wrong was that it had one pixel burned out on the screen that i could see....thats it

ladywolf said:
only thing wrong was that it had one pixel burned out on the screen that i could see....thats it
Considering the number of pixels on a laptop screen that's not bad - it sucks when it's one in the middle of the screen but when you're talking about a 1024x768 monitor has 786,432 pixels...one or two dead is statistically insignificant.

Considering the price range? Nope.

Save up a few more dollars.

My Uncle picked up a Referbished labtop at Costco Business center. Has some trade in policy or something with it. I have not looked into it, so I don't understand it yet.

check out

www.pricewatch.com especialy if you can format your own machine and know exactly what your looking for. most of the cost in a machine is the licence to use Windows XP or Mac OS-X... e-mail me and i can get you one cheep (XP or OS-X) reallly cheap (legit with licence and everything)

"savvy?" - Pirates of the Carribean

-XJ_Ranger
[email protected]

I found a pretty good deal:

DELL Latitude CPi A366XT
--Pentium II 366 MHz
--64mb Ram
--6.4Gb Hard Drive
--DVD/CDRW Drive
--56k Modem
--Touchpad mouse
--Sound (1) USB Port,
--13.3" Active Matrix Display

$450 with shipping!

www.laptopdealer.com

BigRedJeepster0381 said:
I found a pretty good deal:

DELL Latitude CPi A366XT
--Pentium II 366 MHz
--64mb Ram
--6.4Gb Hard Drive
--DVD/CDRW Drive
--56k Modem
--Touchpad mouse
--Sound (1) USB Port,
--13.3" Active Matrix Display

$450 with shipping!

www.laptopdealer.com
I don't know if it's that good of a deal. Dell has new laptops starting at $650 http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs so if you figure that it comes with warranty and more memory and bigger HD and more memory... $450 sounds like a bit much. Oh and it looks like it has $100 mail in rebate on top of it. One more thing... if that battery is old it probably won't last you too long... look into how much will a replacement run you before buying the laptop.

Last edited:
Kejtar said:
I don't know if it's that good of a deal. Dell has new laptops starting at $650 http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs so if you figure that it comes with warranty and more memory and bigger HD and more memory... $450 sounds like a bit much. Oh and it looks like it has $100 mail in rebate on top of it. One more thing... if that battery is old it probably won't last you too long... look into how much will a replacement run you before buying the laptop.

Who in their right mind wants a celeron ?? talk about a eunch...
:gag:

RichP said:
Who in their right mind wants a celeron ?? talk about a eunch...
:gag:

Now you've been reduced to picking on Eunchs (SP) whats next? They are much better than Celerons. I think you owe them an apology.

Unless you only had $465 to spend ...

I believe the original question mentioned something about price being an object

Back