• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Red Rock Cyn/Dove Sp/El Paso Mtn 3/27-28

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be camping at Red Rock SP this weekend and doing some exploring in the surrounding areas. Any suggestions on trail or things to see/do?

Feel free to join us.

Is Mojave the closest spot for gas?

Shannon, do you know if there is gas in the Red mountain/ Joberg area?

Shanbo44 said:
Yes, Mojave is the last place to fill up... unless you go into Ridgecrest, but that would be out of your way.

shannon

There isn't any gas in Redrock, there used to be Jawbone Station a local store that burned down a few years back. Can't remember if they rebuilt it or not. I beleive you may be able to get gas in Randsburg/Johannesburg but not sure. I usually fill up in Mohave. It has been a while since I've been out that way, only go to Ridgecrest to visit my brother inlaws.

Scott Suyeto

No gas in Johannesburg. There's the Texaco/Burger King in Pearsonville just a few miles north of the 14/395 junction. But Mojave sems to be closer.

I plan on filling up in Mojave on the way up. I'm trying figure out how much extra gas I may need to bring for two days of exploring and the return trip back to Mojave for the fill up on the way home.

karstic said:
I plan on filling up in Mojave on the way up. I'm trying figure out how much extra gas I may need to bring for two days of exploring and the return trip back to Mojave for the fill up on the way home.

I live in Ridgecrest, There is a gas station at Johanasburg again, it was put in within the last year. California City (south on 14), Inyokern (North on 14 and 395) or Johanasberg (South on 395) are all about the same distance from Red Rock canyon (no more than 20 min. drive)
I enjoy going thru Last Chance canyon, Fire Opal canyon road, or thru the Narrows and on to EP11. They are all a little rough in places but I'm only running 31's and they are my favorite trails so far (only lived here just under two years, and don't get out as much as I'd like). I'f you like site seeing go and take a look at the Burro Schmit Tunnel its kind of interesting.
Just bring plenty of water, its been above 90 for about a week.

GroversXJ said:
I live in Ridgecrest, There is a gas station at Johanasburg again, it was put in within the last year. California City (south on 14), Inyokern (North on 14 and 395) or Johanasberg (South on 395) are all about the same distance from Red Rock canyon (no more than 20 min. drive)
I enjoy going thru Last Chance canyon, Fire Opal canyon road, or thru the Narrows and on to EP11. They are all a little rough in places but I'm only running 31's and they are my favorite trails so far (only lived here just under two years, and don't get out as much as I'd like). I'f you like site seeing go and take a look at the Burro Schmit Tunnel its kind of interesting.
Just bring plenty of water, its been above 90 for about a week.

Grover, I have been wanting to do last chance canyon for some time now, we should set up a run. I live in Lancaster.

How far from Corona? If i can get he XJ running on saturday...or sooner I may be down for a run on Sunday.

-Scott

Grover that sounds like a cool run. I'm running 31's also. Think you might want to hook up this weekend?

Sintax
About 3 hours

Shanbo44 said:
Grover, I have been wanting to do last chance canyon for some time now, we should set up a run. I live in Lancaster.

That would be alright. I'm not sure exactly when I could do something right now because this weekend I'm fixing my E-brakes on my jeep and my in-laws are coming in from vegas for the weekend. Maybe the 10th of April is the earliest I could do anything I bet but I will have to talk to my wife because I don't ever remember things that I have commited to do or go to.
My wife doesn't like that canyon much because it is so bumpy and you have to go slower and she is more of the speed demon, desert racer type. She likes to go wheelin but too much of the slow bumpy stuff gets her sick.

You can email me at [email protected] if needs be.

Back