• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recovery Equipment??

BlackXJ4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Newbie needs some recovery equipment. Problem is I don't know what needs to be included in the kit? Tow straps? Hooks? What else should be included for a complete kit for a ride??

the most overlooked thing is making sure you have somewhere good to attach them to, front and rear,

i carry a high lift, and the parts neccesary to use it as a winch, and a couple straps, and as long as you are not riding alone, that is enough to get you out of most situations, if you wheel with no other vehicles, id suggest getting a winch, but for most people, that is unneccesary i think

adam

I agree with Adam, make sure you have some good tow hooks up front and at least a 2inch reciever hitch in the back. You can check out www.custom4x4fabrication.com for tow hooks & brackets.

As for actual recovery gear, a good recovery strap w/o the metal hooks. The metal hooked "tow straps" are meant for towing a load, not pulling someone out of a sticky situation. I wheel alone and don't use a winch. I have a hi-lift with a shackle, 25ft chain and a couple tree savers to use it as a winch. If you arent going to use it as a winch, and dont have rockrails or bumpers, dont even bother getting a hi-lift because it will be worthless.
HTH

Rule number 1: Do not wheel alone. It's asking for trouble, with the only variables being how long before you get into trouble and how bad it will be.

As far as recovery equipment goes, you need to consider the type of wheeling you do. For someone who does only mild wheeling on fireroads or the occasional mudhole, a simple strap (no hooks!) and solid mounting points front and rear from which to pull should be plenty. At the other end of the spectrum you really have to consider the ability to repair trail carnage as part of the ability to recover your rig. So, in addition to a winch (and the associated tree-saver, snatch block, etc.), hi-lift jack (and associated solid places against which to use it), extra strap and chain, you'll want to carry those parts most likely to break given the wheeling you do. I carry a spare wheel hub, spare front axleshafts assembled with u-joints, spare CPS and serp belt, a small amount of oil and ATF, and tools to work on things. Everyone will find a different combination to be best, so just consider your personal situation and go from there.

Without aftermarket bumpers, or a winch, I suggest the following: Front tow hooks, 2" receiver hitch in back, 2" receiver shackle, 2 straps, 2 more D-Rings, high lift, and tree protector. You can always get a pull-pal if you will be in an area without trees or big rocks by yourself.

Did I miss anything?

Greg

MontanaXJ said:
Did I miss anything?
shovel, axe of sorts and some sort of a signaling device.

Also since we're on the topic of what to bring, always carry a bit of extra water and food (I carry sports bars and bottled water), some warm clothing is also good (dry socks are nice, but if you carry dry socks, carry another pair of shoes as dry socks in wet shoes get wet very fast :D)

Something else that I just remembered is LCA's and UCA's. Stock LCA's and UCA's (lower and upper control arms) are somewhat fragile. You don't have to do any extreme wheeling to bend them: all it takes is hitting a rock with your tire (or axle) at the right angle and speed (I've seen someone nail the only rock in a huge flat area and bent both upper and lower CA's on the drivers side).

Come-a-longs are fairly inexpensive but very nice for a number of things. I recently used one to hold a high lift tight to a bumper of a vehicle that blew a bead on a side hill. I also use it for reinstalling my control arms. They can be used to pull yourself out of a hole. I have also pulled a vehicle back up on the road sideways to keep it from rolling ( used two of them).

Good credit card and phone number of nearest off road capable towing company LOL...
Tow points, front and rear, 2 30ft 20,000lb straps, 2" diameter x 1' long oak dowl, thats the best way to hook two tow straps together. Fire extinguisher and first aid kit, Flashlights and batteries, 2 or 3 medium sized D rings.

QUALITY FIRST AID KIT and FIRE EXT.

As far as the High lift goes, The acc. pkg. that allows you to "winch" with it has saved my bacon more times than I want to mention. If I were to do the High lift purchase again, I would buy the 60" (?) model. Carry spray lube for the jack, they have a way of sticking.

In addition to the items already posted above, I carry a pick. Sometimes the ground is harder than the round point shovel will deal with. They also work well for prying rocks/debris.

A bungie cord is helpfull when using the quality strap on factory tow hooks to support the strap keeping it from falling off.

Tim

Last edited:
This is great information. However what is a tree protector? I have been to a website or two but no mention of tree protectors. Anyone near or around DC, NOVA, or MD??

BlackXJ4x4 said:
This is great information. However what is a tree protector? I have been to a website or two but no mention of tree protectors. Anyone near or around DC, NOVA, or MD??

A tree protector is a 6' or so nylon strap that you wrap around the tree trunk to use as a recovery point. The trap will not damage the tree, whereas a chain or cable might.

I usually carry tools, food and a lfare-gun with me. Can anybody point out for me somewhere to get inexpensive front tow-points for the front of a '90 Pioneer?
Thanks

BudTX said:
A tree protector is a 6' or so nylon strap that you wrap around the tree trunk to use as a recovery point. The trap will not damage the tree, whereas a chain or cable might.

also a tree saver wont strech like a recovery strap will...

Insect repellent is a good thing to carry... this one time, at bandcamp, I got stuck in a mudhole and the mosquitoes were relentless.

Zoro said:
Can anybody point out for me somewhere to get inexpensive front tow-points for the front of a '90 Pioneer?
Thanks
Rusty's carries them for $92 shipped. They make a bracket that bolts on with the bumper mount and then include a pair of hooks.

Hopefully good tow straps (w/o metal hooks) and strong tow points front and rear were a given. I agree with the above recommendations of a hilift and the extras for using it as a winch. I also recommend a good shovel.

I also recommend having some clean drinking water and a change of clothes. Digging is thirsty, muddy work and both the water and work clothes will come in handy.

The best advice I can think of is to get active in your local 4x4 club and not wheel alone. Keep a phone list for the club in the glove box in case you get into trouble unexpectedly when no one is with you. Nothing beats having friends who can come help you out if you are in a real fix. Also, if you are going by yourself somewhere remote I recommend at least letting people know where you are going and when you expect to be back.

Back