• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Record player question

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, I just got an older 1980s Sears turn table from a friends parents. They said that they had used it a few years ago and it's sat since then, they put a new needle in it back then. I got it home and plugged it into my receiver and have just very faint audio. All the settings work as it should, feels like it's brand new really.

I see a ground wire along with the Red/White audio cable, my buddy said I didn't need the ground but it seems like I may? I can hear music but I have to seriously crank my receiver All the way up and then it is still just really faint.

Do I need the ground and where would I attach it, or, what should I look at as the issue?

After googling, it looks like I need a pre-amp as my receiver has no phono input, explains the very faint audio : ( .

unless your receiver doesn't have a built in amp, you wouldn't need a pre amp. Most receivers will amplify the signal to the rated output and send it to the speakers. Unless whatever input you are using instead of a phono jack is designed for an amplified signal, it should work.

The ground cable is definitely necessary for the phonograph to work well-- it builds static electricity as it turns and you'll get tons of fuzzy hums and snap-crackle-pops without the ground connected. Older receivers had a ground attachment on the back near the phono jack, but it yours doesn't, I'd just ground it to the case of the receiver.

If the receiver has a phonograph input, use that.
Phono inputs have the preamp built in. The preamp is neccesary to bring the output of the cartridge up to the 1vpp level the other inputs (tape/cd/tv) take. Ground is not necessary but as stated, drains off static.

If the receiver has a phonograph input, use that.
Phono inputs have the preamp built in. The preamp is neccesary to bring the output of the cartridge up to the 1vpp level the other inputs (tape/cd/tv) take. Ground is not necessary but as stated, drains off static.

This

I got a pre amp and seems to be working. I got my first brand new record today but I get a very loud pop every 30 seconds or so on both sides of the record and no visual marks on the record. I am assuming the player is causing the pop so I gotta sort that out now grr.

The pre amp has a ground point so I am using that, without the ground it's just total a massive static hum.

is the preamp grounded to your tuner?
there's likely a ground lug on the back by the antenna input.

If not, any screw on the chassis will work as long as you clean off the paint. 90% of electronics have a grounded chassis.

meh.

Real record players don't need electricity anyhow.

Here's mine:
DSCF1273.jpg

castings.jpg

DSCF1279.jpg

it needed some love when I got it, so I took it apart, found the patent drawings and made some new pieces for it.

I still need to recreate the auto stop parts, but having a hard time finding some info on how all the levers interact.

edit: It sounds better tan the video in person. I usd my digital camera to take the video and it's mic is really bad.

Last edited:
is the preamp grounded to your tuner?
there's likely a ground lug on the back by the antenna input.

If not, any screw on the chassis will work as long as you clean off the paint. 90% of electronics have a grounded chassis.

The pre amp has a ground lug on it, I was using that for the record players ground. Do I need to run a ground from the pre amp to my receiver?

The pop really does sound like a static pop the way it is so consistent.

The pre amp has a ground lug on it, I was using that for the record players ground. Do I need to run a ground from the pre amp to my receiver?

The pop really does sound like a static pop the way it is so consistent.

yes.

it all needs to share a common ground.

I was just looking think I found the now obvious problem. The 4 wires going to the cartridge were barely attached and 2 just came loose at a slight touch. It looks like the PO replaced the cartridge and had to solder the wires in place and did poor job. Now I am thinking just get a New player and go from there ha. The 80s sears player is cool and has its charm and I already bought the pre-amp but the wiring looks so frail who knows what kind of sound I will get from it at this point if I can re-solder the tiny wires.

You should still ground everything to everything.

I was looking after 87manche mentioned it, my receiver has no dedicated ground spots which I thought was odd. I'll have to rip it apart and use just a chassis screw.

I did end up putting in an order for another turn table, this one has a built in amp so that will eliminate the need for the external pre-amp at least. I got an Audio-Technica AT-LP120 coming that looks pretty good and has solid reviews.

I run a pair of stanton direct drive tables with m44 cartridges on my dj setup. The stanton table is almost as good as a technics 1200 but not as smooth and the record doesn't return to full speed as quick, bonus is it costs less than half as much. I've been really impressed with them and the m44 carrtridge while a little pricey has some of the best bass response on the market.

Do the turntable and receiver have polarized plugs? You know, the one with the thicher and thinner blade. My '73 Harmon Kardon doesn't, and I had to be careful plugging it in, as the chassis had a 50% chance of being hot. And have the polarity of the turntable reversed, and you got ground hum. The turntables' chassis wouldn't be hot if plugged in wrong, but the hum would be there.

Try to determine, like I did, by using a meter if the receiver's chassis is indeed grounded, if it doesn't have the polarized plug, and dittos for the turntable. And then use the ground wire to the chassis of the receiver. Now enjoy the old school analog sound!

I re-soldered the wires today and still get the pop but this time only about 50% as loud but still the same consistency. I may try soldering again but the wires are soooo thin and just barely able to reach. I may rip it all apart and run new wire just to see what happens, I have no money really into this thing and a new player on the way so.... Also plan to ground everything to everything, just weird the re-solder cut the pop by half the volume at least.

There are decent turntables that are usb based available for less than $100 and you can digitize the vinyl and save it if you want.

Back