• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Recall horror story

Marc

NAXJA Forum User
My Limited failed the emissions test and when I requested the build sheet it had a 561 Federal Emissions Recall - Oxygen Sensor - Incomplete at the top along with a Brake Pedal Shift Interlock - Incomplete.

I made an appointment at the dealer (Lithia Dodge in Renton, WA) on Thursday for 8:45am. I tell the guy not to worry with the Brake thing. I like it just the way it is. I leave catch a bus to downtown Seattle and roam around until 1 pm and go back and wait. No one will tell me what is up with my jeep.

Finally at 4:30 I go into the garage and demand to know. The guy tells me the 1st brake interlock part they got in was busted and just got in the second and it would be done in 30 minutes. Wife has to be at work at 6pm, she has kids and doesn't drive. At 5:30 still having problems and wife calls cab. At 6:30 guy comes in waiting room and says it is ready. Meanwhile oldest son is also missing his band concert that he is supposed to play in.

I go out and my quater panel is pushed in by the front door. I open my door part way and it hits the quarter panel, the hinge is busted. He tells me to crawl over the passenger seat and bring it back tomorrow. I am 6'2" and 300lbs. I do as told and start to go. Notice Part-Time light on dash. Try to shift out and it won't. I tell him I can't drive it home like this. He says he will give me a loaner. I then try to roll up the window and all it does is make clicking noises. I am really pissed now.

He loans me a 02' Durango for the night. I go get the kids and go home. In the morning I take the kids to school and start to head after my wife. A police car pulls up behind me and lights me up just after I drop off my 2nd son. He asks for license and registration. I tell him it is not mine, a dealer loaner. I check and no paperwork anywhere. He says the tabs expired in July, 2003. I say no way and he shows me. I tell him the story, show him the key ring with the codes on it and the paper that the put on the floor boards. I tell him I just have to get my wife and go straight to dealer.

Dealer calls cell on the way back after second cop pulls me over for tabs. Says every thing is done and ready. I go down. Quarter panel is still pushed in and hinge is still broke. Window works. Didn't replace O2 sensor, tested fine. Shift interlock not working cable needs to be replaced. Service Manager says won't do anything about door and doesn't care that I got pulled overt. Try to drive away really mad after telling Service manager that I will be back with sign out front from 9 am- 3 pm every weekday. Transmission still in part-time just disconnected the light.

I go tearing into the garage the wife running behind screaming "Marc, Honey, Stop don't do it. It's not worth it. mechanics scatter like cockroachs in a New York apartment when you turn the lights on. Leaving 2 really scared assistant managers behind the counter to say we will fix the transmission now. Have it ready in 15 minutes. Tranny now works. Refuse to give me customer survey, wife calls corporate woman asks me to give them 24 hours, I say yes but still going to pick up insulated coveralls and a protest permit just in case.

Hinge would take 20 minutes to fix. I think they either leaned on it or backed up with the door open. Quarter panel just needs someone to push it out with a hand. I don't want paint or anything. I could get it fixed for the price of a couple of beers.

Spent $128 on coveralls, $25 and 4 hours on the sign. I work from home at nights. Will be there on monday-friday with the sign. I am willing to spend a couple of grand to make these people my hobby all because of an arrogant Service Manager and a busted hinge. I get madder every time I open the door and it makes that noise when it rubs on the quarter panel.

Man that sucks! There is a "zone" office you can call. Some one there should be able to look in to that.

I had a bad experance with a GMC dealer and and a transmission. To make a long story short I had to drive it 75 miles in second gear back to the dealer I bought it from because the dealer nearest to were I was wouldn't fix it under warrentee and wouldn't tow it either.

Look in your owners man. There should be a number to call if you have problems with the dealer.

Stupid business people really annoy me. One of the reasons I learned to do my own work and am very selective about who I allow to do work for me. I generally bend over backwards for customers, always go the extra mile to make sure they are happy and that their stuff works and they still buy crap from dell and gateway, amazes me every time. On the few occasions I have gone in to the dealer I bought my jeep from I let the customer service rep know up front in no uncertain terms that I know my XJ inside and out and give the two mechanics I know a quick 'hi' to let them know I'm there and just by coincidence one of them always ends up working on my XJ :D The service manager already knows to steer clear of me and vanishes when I walk in to buy parts or something.
The experience you had is why they loose customers to other brands. Sorry to hear that they turned out to be peckerheads. Good luck.

1 word.......wow!!
i'm assuming this isnt a "5 star "dealer.. regardless of how much it cost to fix..... they are responsible.... and i like the idea of standing out front too.. what are you going to put on your signs?? do yourself a favor and find out what the local laws are regarding picketing... and check where the boundary of private/public property is before you set up camp... i'm sure some local jeepers would love to help out.. go to another dealer and get a "customer survey" card.... thay really do pay attention to those in the "home office"
good luck in having that service manager's ass hung out to dry..
mike

1-800-853-1403

1-800-992-1997

Call both, but the second is more likely the one to do anything for you.

i had a problem with a (5 Star Dealer) i think that they just have to pay enough money to put that on there signs. Well now my wife is saying that she has to crank on the engine for like 5 seconds before it starts up. I'm really getting annoyed with this jeep. I think i'm gonna call daimlerchrysler and and put in a complaint against that dealership that installed my new motor. I know it was installed in july but since then i had to move to korea, fly my wife and son to florida with 2 cats, i had to fly back to vegas the same day. I have no doubt that the dealership screwed me. I took the jeep in to get a window regulator replaced, service writer sees antifreeze leaking under jeep says it's water pump. They call me back later confirm it's water pump and i say go ahead and replace it. My wife, son and i and our 2 cats leave for florida two days later from vegas and we don't even make it to flagstaff arizona. I see antifreeze shoot out of the hood and the temp gauge spikes. i shut the engine off and coast to the side of the road. Get out of the jeep and the radiator cap either blew off or wasn't put on all the way. just sitting on top of filler hole. well after that to make a long story short, take the jeep back to the same dealership and talk to the service manager. I thought it was the head gasket at first and they tell me it will take a week to get done, yeah a week. So then they call me later and tell me they have bad news that one of the pistons melted and he can't patch it up but he'll put an engine and a 3 core radiator in my jeep for $5300 but then before i say anything he tells me that he's gonna try and lower the price for me. Oh thanks alot, Calls me back the next day and says he can do everything for $3300 can't go any lower than that. Well anyways now the jeep is starting to run like crap it's really pissing me off now i want to go after this dealership and see what Chrysler has to say about them. Oh yeah by the way when i took the jeep back in for the engine the glass on the door that they replaced the regulator in wasn't even in the guide and that door wouldn't lock unless you did it manually. They also said that was my fault because I bent the rod in the door. Nice story huh.

Chris

i have an internship at a local ford dealership :anon:

well, all i can say is NEVER TAKE YOUR TRUCK TO A DEALER. the mechanics smoke in people's cars, and i have even seen one take out a tranny filter gasket with a CHISEL. the whole inside was scratched up, and that was while i was being taught the "proper" procedures. find a good independant.

Like previously mentioned, the main reason I learned and spend the time doing the majority of my own maintenenace.
1. Wife, factory orders, A Jeep (XJ) that was delivered without two pages, of extras, she had ordered and paid for. Took 2 and a half years to lidigate.
2. My wife takes her Jeep, to a repair shop, that specializes in American made cars (they are foriegn cars here). Needed an alignment. I told her not to let them change any parts, without my OK. I drive her back, to pick it up and he says (maintenance cheif) he can´t release the Jeep, because it needs a tie rod end. I said show me, nothing wrong with the tie rod end ( I did notice a little play in the pitman joint). He says he can´t give me the keys, because the Jeep is too dangerous to drive, I take out the extra set and leave (almost had to drive over three Mech.s and the Chief), straight to another shop, for an estimate and inspection (which the original reapir shop paid for, along with the lawyer costs, eventually). In court, the master mech. at the shop, pulls out his pedigree, I pull out mine, the auto club pulls out there`s. They lost, and ended up with a class action, that´s still going on.
3. Took the Jeep, to a dealer for a seatbelt recall (was sticking). Gave them a load of synthetic oil, for the motor and told them to check the tranny, transfer and axles, lub it, while they had it in the shop. Pick it up and the seat belt is still sticking, the oil in the motor is green (not clear) and the front diff plug hasn´t been removed this decade. Got a bill for $400. Fixed the seatbelt myself, piece of carpet stuck in the rewinder. Never did pay the bill, the dealer got charged for the synthetic oil and the lawyers fees.
4. Wife rolled her XJ, had a bank draft in my pocket, to cover the price of a 4 year old Grand, I was interested in. Was wearing my work coveralls, I stood around and was seriously ignored for more than an hour. Finally contacted Jeep (E-mail), gave them a list of my Jeeps and VIN starting in 53 till present and told them it was a shame I had to change brands. Got a call from a dealer in the next large city, a few weeks later, asking me what he could do to make it right. Asked him, to fix the wife up with a good XJ and give me a discount on parts for my 88. Been working well so far, wife got a Cherry 95 ( XJ, black,limited, HO) and I´ve been receiving a box of MO PAR parts a month at a reasonable price. Benz has since, closed down most of the independants and have lots, full of liberties, they can´t give away. Finally find a good dealer and the parent company is trying to close him down.

8Mud's story is about right. Has anyone else noticed that most of the true horror stories involve so-called "5-Star" dealers? I agree with whoever posted something suggesting that's just something they pay for. Actually, DCX is pushing all dealerships to become 5-Star. After that, it will mean even less than it means now. It'll be sort of like the small independent shop near me with the big sign reading

"We specialize in all makes"

Huh?:confused:

Updates and responses

The sign is 2x3 feet, says

Lithia Broke
My JEEP
Buy in Auburn

I am looking for a bullhorn today. I am getting stick on letters to put on the rear and rear side windows of my jeep saying the same kinda things. Checked at city hall friday on permits needed. Nice woman at the desk got nice permit man on the phone. He said as long as I was not in the street or blocking access. "Stand on the sidewalk and go for it, that is why we have free speech" I am printing up packets to hand out with the story, and a signed sheet from everyone that can testify that the door was not like that the night before and two nights before. A bunch of Cub and Boy Scout leaders, Boy and Cub Scouts who had rides and a Boy Scout District Exec who was with me the night before. A list of demands.

My jeep isn't perfect by any means. But it is mine. Driving 14 year old reliable vehicles in part has allowed me to be 100% debt free and working from home at night allows me the time to do the protest.

I can't wait for the police to be called. I will be audio taping everything I say and will press charges for theft of any parts removed to install the brake interlock thingy as I did not authorize it and I want any original parts returned. I did not sign anything at the dealership.

Anyone in the area is encouraged to com to the dealer and look at lots of cars. Just be sure to stop by, take a test drive, say hi to me and inform them that you love the cars and will buy one, just at another dealer. I might even buy you dinner. Lunch time will be taken up.

Ironically the noise the door makes when I open it is what is making me hotter by the hour. If it didn't constantly remind me of what they did to my baby, I wouldn't be half as mad. For God's sake in America you might get away with messing with a man's wife, but never ever mess with his truck.

Have fun, but be careful.

Be sure to remain on the public sidewalk, so they can't have you arrested for trespass. If interviewed or asked any questions, stick to the facts. Free speech allows anyone to express an opinion, if it is clearly an opinion.

"I think they're a bunch of cheats" is probably okay.

"They cheated me" is probably okay (if you can prove that you at least have reason to believe that they did cheat you.

"They are a bunch of cheats" is probably going to get you nailed for libel or slander (I can never remember the distinction between the two).

Ive dealt with 3 5-Star delaerships and all three sucked.

I had a cruise control problem which I could nto figure out, took the XJ in to the dealer, they aid they did not know what it was either, but it will cost me $600 for them to diagnose it. I said no way, took it back home, looked harder, found out that a little vacuum hose near the brake pedal had a slice in it. Fixed it, all was done...cost $0.00.

Took the XJ into another 5 star dealer (where the Jeep was bought) to change all the fluids. Get the Jeep back with front and rear diffs leaking. Take it back, they reseal it. Pick it up rear still leaking. This went on for 3 more times. Finally they tell me my differential cover must be warped so they will need to order a new one. I tell them you guys must have warped it if thats they case...this Jeep has never been offroad and has been miticulously maintained. But I agree to have them order a new cover. They install the new cover and its still leaking. Finally I just curse the rip-off artists off... and take my Jeep. Did it myself, never leaked again. The whole thing had my Jeep with these fools for about 2 weeks!

Finally, I took my girlfriend in 2001 to another 5 star Jeep dealer to get her to buy a new XJ. The sales person knew nothing about a car that is 18 years in production!!! He was rude, and showed us the crappiest XJ I have ever seen. You dont show someone who has just told you they were at Mercedes, BMW and Landrover dealerships earlier, the most stripped down and bland looking XJ you have!! The whole experience left her with such distaste for the brand in general that she swore to never buy a Jeep.

I also think the 5 star status is earned by those who simply handle more volume of sales not becasue they actually do any good work.

XJguy

cguthrie: What part of Florida ya'll moving to? I'm in Jacksonville if you ever need anything.

As for the the rest of this thread... I spent 2 years working for Reno Dodge, 3 years at Windward VW/Ford. Dealerships are really the last place in the world you want to take a car or truck unless you've got warranty work. Even that can be risky. Labor is overpriced and the parts are too. I really hate everything about dealerships from the stupid commercials and all those damn balloons.

I was lucky enough to find an honest shop that has taken good care of me and my other two jeeps when I can't handle the problem at home myself. An honest shop is as hard to find as an honest car salesman. No offense to all you car salesmen... I was one too.

Anyway, camp out and cause them some grief. Make sure you get in touch with Jeep corp. too and hopefully they'll do something for you.

Good luck and happy protesting... wish I could stop by!

good strategy

You could always do what I did. Get you sister to marry the owners son. Now they treat me like family, and any problems, my sister just calls dear old dad (in-law). Good luck with picketing, and enjoy

Diddo on the bad dealership experience.

I had a nasty experience with a GMC dealership when I lived in Atlanta. I was having intermittent clutch failure, where the clutch would fall to the floor and I would have to pump the pedal to get pressure back. I took it in under waranty. Got the car back with almost 100 more miles on it and some nice new scratches in the bed (new truck) where an employee had used it over the weekend for some chores. I was also told that I was imagining the clutch problems and they had spoken with GM's "engineers", and the engineers said it could never happen.
This is also the dealership where I was having cruise control problems, and there waranty solution was to disconnect it. Took it to another dealership in North Ga, who found the problem and fixed it without fuss.

I am still learning, but try to do most of my own work now. I do try to find good independent shops for things I cant handle.

Maybe you can call one of those investigative reporters and see if they can dig something up.

Copperhead

I bought my 92 used from a Jeep dealership, and bought the extended warranty since at that time I knew little about 4x4s. I more than got my moneys worth out of the warranty, but they could never fix anything right the first time. I always had to waste my time bringing it back 2 or 3 times. I told them "the rear main seal is leaking"- they changed the valve cover gasket! I tried their other Jeep dealership and they did a little better on a couple things, then they installed that brake/shifter interlock recall thing without my permission. On a trip out west towing the camper, I discovered that I had to step on the brake in order to manually downshift. I'm sure that made the cars behind me, that I was already slowing down, really happy. After I got back I made them take it out, our warranty expired, I started doing some things myself, and found a good independent mechanic. Now I only go to the dealership for parts.
Anyway, I hope you can cost them at least a couple dozen sales. Any business that allows people like that to continue working there should be put out of business.

here's another idea for your sign... there is an ugly purple neon that has been running around our town for about 5 years now... it's paint is literally peeled off and mostly grey primer over large areas of the car.... the owner went to the hardware store and got some 2" relfective letter sticker and put his thoughts across the rear of the trunk lid....
"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY AT BERTERRA'S!!!!"
he replaces them with fresh new stickers as they wear off.....
good luck!!
mike

Back