• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tire Carrier

AEV's bumper is a great design but their deliver time sucks. I've been waiting 8 months for one. They keep telling me "just a few more weeks". If they spent as much time building bumpers as Dave's brother Jordan did designing their website they'd be rolling in the $$$.
The latest news is they've decided to subcontract out the XJ bumpers so production has begun again but at a snails pace. The first handful of bumpers out are having powdercoat & rust problems unlike the in house built ones.
I got very impatient with AEV's delays and recently bought the Kaymar unit instead.
Here's mine:

DSC01598.JPG

Once again I'm waiting on the swing out tire carrier. 2 months they said, so we'll see. The bumper showed up 3 days after I ordered it from Man-A-Fre.

AEV did give me great a hook up on the ARB roof rack though. It was a looong drive to Montana to get it.

what a suprize todd...its white

:D:D:D:D

hjeepxj said:
what a suprize todd...its white

:D:D:D:D
Yeah, yeah...
I even get to catch crap over here on this board too. ha ha!!
:D :D

...now, if only they made a set of white MTR's too. ;)

I'm running Custom4x4's rear bumper/tire carrier. Here are a few pics:

50375Aug21$05mod.jpg

48466MVC-262F.JPG

JEEPZZ said:
Yeah, yeah...
I even get to catch crap over here on this board too. ha ha!!
:D :D

...now, if only they made a set of white MTR's too. ;)

:roflmao:

:cheers:

BTW, you got any more pics of that green XJ? thing is lookin sweet

This one?? It belongs to my friend Joe. He previously had a 96 Classic with the Custom 4x4 rear bumper but on his new 2001, (pictured) he'd like to go with the AEV. I told him that he could have my place in line since I've already been waiting 8 months.

xjjoe6.jpg

xjjoe5.JPG

Just so we aren't getting too O.T., here's a Bulletproof Man. rear bumper on a 97 or 98.

xjrearbumperbulletproof2.JPG

JEEPZZ said:
This one??

lol, that one is sweet, but no, this one :

xjrearbumperkaymar10with35inch.JPG

Whoops! hahaha...
That's SocalXJ's (Dave's) old rig. Long gone now though. Other than the one's on JU, here's one you haven't seen.
xjrearbumperkaymar.jpg

Todd, if the arm is on top of the bumper, and the latch is on the face, how does it work?? I've got my carrier built and ready to install on my custom bumper, but I can't figure out an effective latch design. Since I don't have a spare tire yet(well, no rim for the spare) I haven't been that worried about it. Any closeups of how the latch works? Thanks

Ary

Here's a few pics of Kaymar's design.

kaymarpivotandlatch.JPG

xjrearbumperkaymaropen.jpg

As you can see, both ends of the carrier arm carry the weight when closed but the spindle (two sets of tapered roller bearings) carries the weight. The spindle pivot also has an automatic lock to hold the carrier in the open position.
There is more info and better pics of the over center latch and spindle pivot on Kaymar's XJ page.

Back