• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear speakers

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Just got my wife a 99 but it's the very base model...

It has no rear speakers lol. Just the two front door.

What would be the best way to get some tuneskies in the back? Newer headliner w/soundbar molded in, external sway bar, make holes in the hatch (is that possible) or just get two good front door speakers and a good HU?

Keeping factory id say find ya the sound bar with the factory harness on it any plug and play for the most part. If your 99 didnt come with a rear soundbar may need to run a few wires.

check behind the pannel on the passenger side in the back of the jeep... essentially behind the tail light... there should be a plug here that operates the rear dome light (do you have one?) and the 2 rear speakers. i would hope that you could just steal the wiring harness from the donor jeep and the new dome and speakers would be plug and play. it was for my 97 and i used a liner/lights/speakers from a 2000. but by no means take my word for it, thats just a hope and prayer.

if not... and you really like music... id take the opportunity to buy a new deck, 4 speakers, and wire in a multi channel amp to run them all. youll still want the new head liner installed so you might as well swap it and at least TRY the harness. just take it with the liner/speakers.

Just to toss in my .02... The factory speakers are 5.25". The wiring for the speaker may already be above the headliner. If not, then the plug behind the cubby will be there. If you are handy, you could builb a soundbar out of MDF and cover it with vinyl to maych the interior. I did this on my 97. I would post pictures, but my over-enthusiastic Son cleaned out our NAS...

Easy to make a template of the headliner curve out of cardboard. Run string across the vehicle where you want the soundbar to end. Multiple measurements from string to headliner will establish the curve. Flat bottom plate. I held mine to the XJ with metal plates that tied in directly. Just remove the trim form the top, install, pop the trim back on after clearancing it for the bracketry.

I think I spent all of 5 hours on the build. I padded it with high density .25" foam and covered. Ran a pair of 6x9 in it. To accomodate the depth of the speakers, a "trim ring" was placed between the speaker and the bar. I did a write up on JU about 8 years or so ago...

I would say get some really good speakers for the front doors. I only have the front , but I need better ones.
If you can find one a sound bar from a pre 96 would work too You would not have to pull the headliner.

Back