• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shock towers in the cab?

YZRacer408

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys just bought a 2000 xj the other day the plan is to put a RE 5.5 long arm kit. For the rear I want to do a prerunner style shock tower with some deavers. My Question is what are the pro and cons to building a shock tower in the cab and running a smoothie or bypass? pics below if im not clear.

154_0705_15_z+10_day_jeep_xj_cherokee_jeepspeed_competitor+fuel_cell_plumbing.jpg

I am getting ready to do the same thing. Only con I can think of is the lost space in the rear.

i have my coilovers run through the floor in the rear and i love it, havent seen any drawbacks to it.
6896888930_31a73bef3e_b.jpg

Vanimal, do you have a link to more pics, Im thinking of doing the same thing, (well at least with just shocks).

Vanimal you didn't happen to cut out an extra set of coil over mounts for the front did you? :eeks1: I love your front end.

As for the OP's question, other than space and noise, there aren't many downsides. I'll be building my towers as soon as I find shocks. Well and mount my shocks up front...they have been sitting in the garage too long.

I didn't run mine that long (before hacking rear 1/2 off for a trail rig)
but I was able to push the shock mounts further out on the axle, so they were atop the leaf perches.
With the shocks further out, and mounted through the floor I could get a much better angle on them, which made for a much more stable ride.

cons... ya bit louder and lost space... but as some of the examples shown above, you can do it right and not lose much room, and close them in to keep noise to a minimum.

thanks for all the comments guys. What are some pro's to running them like that rather then just th stock location. other then travel numbers of course

Back