• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Scout Dana 44

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
Other than doing the spring perch modification this is mostly bolt in, right? I'll probably do rear disks at the same time.

Is the width ok? A touch narrow maybe? I'm toying with the Warn full float kit so that would add 1-1/2"...~1/2" for disk rotor thickness...works out to close to stock XJ width?

Just looking for a some confirmation before I warm up the credit card...

:)

r@m

Hazard a guess on the width difference with "real world" numbers? Web wheeling says Scout is 58" and XJ is 60" but...

Thanks.

r@m

LOL

This time, in band camp, this chick, had, like a cowbell, and...

r@m

confirmed 58" stock. I run 1" spacers and disks on each side and end up just under 60 1/2".

Heres my scout rear end
36X13.5 Iroks, Camaro Disc's, 1.5" Spacers, 15" wheel w/ 3.75 back spacing
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Re: Rear Scout Dana 44 discs

I hope you guys check back here. These threads die fast now that the board has grown so much....

Talk to me about disck brakes for the Scout 44. I saw something here about Camaro parts????? Aren't the drums huge on a Scout anyway? do you need discs?

Thanks,
Geoff

even with the spacers and 3.75" wheels it still looks kinda narrow
Heep said:
Heres my scout rear end
36X13.5 Iroks, Camaro Disc's, 1.5" Spacers, 15" wheel w/ 3.75 back spacing
picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Re: Rear Scout Dana 44 discs

gcam said:
I hope you guys check back here. These threads die fast now that the board has grown so much....

Talk to me about disck brakes for the Scout 44. I saw something here about Camaro parts????? Aren't the drums huge on a Scout anyway? do you need discs?

Thanks,
Geoff

I did a TSM conversion, and wouldn't do it again. The stock drums are huge -- use em.

yeah, what is this about Camaro Discs?
I have a Scout II rear, and the thing that is holding me back from building it is the brakes. The drums are $100 a piece, then the pads and hardware.. The TJM kit uses redrilled rotors. and is kind of pricey. I would like to use parts that I can readily get at any parts store, camaro stuff sounds like what I am looking for...
HEEP, give me some details....

This thread has a lot of ideas:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=174851

And there is this old Scout standby:

http://www.off-road.com/ih/jweed/discrear.htm

I'm not sure what to do myself. The caddy caliper method sounds easy enough but then you get the crappy e-brake. I have an automatic so I may do it anyway - just to keep the brake system street legal from an inspection point of view. If I miss/need a real parking brake then maybe a micolock makes sense.

There's also trying to adapt the ZJ/WJ rear brakes.

I'd be interested in hearing about Camaro stuff. Is that the 1LE and/or IROC/Z28 brake package?

HTH

r@m

Back