• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear quarter trim without rivets?

instead of rivets why not use bolts, nuts and lock washers. ?

dont get the cheapest welder. Do it right the first time and youll save money.

Most xj owners follow the KISS concept of maintenance and repair. Others are always looking for any reason to buy new tools for repair or experimentation, or both. Riveting falls within the KISS concept. Welding thin sheet metal can result in disasterous results for a rookie. Pick your medicine.
I love my cheap welder for building and repairing stuff with eighth inch or better steel but my riveter tool and I hit it off nicely in attaching treadbright to my rear quarter panels. Use plenty of a good adhesive to keep moisture from getting trapped and KISS it completed.

I'm completely lost on why you would need a rivet gun to trim the rear quarter panels. I did it last week using the cut and fold method and it worked out great. Cut with an angle grinder and folded everything back with a mini sledge. It was my first body mod and easy as cake.

sunburned said:
I'm completely lost on why you would need a rivet gun to trim the rear quarter panels. I did it last week using the cut and fold method and it worked out great. Cut with an angle grinder and folded everything back with a mini sledge. It was my first body mod and easy as cake.

how'd you make it stay?

I just bent it back and left it as well. It simply.. Stayed. It's not like its rubber or anything, it keeps the position you bend it in. I'm going to spray a shitload of undercoating on it though.

We're talking about the rear lower quarter, not the flare or wheel well edge.....but thats on the agenda as well

when I did my cut and fold write up I used self tappinghex head screws and sealed it...when we did gravediggersxj we used self tappers too(he has a write up on here as well)

DeftwillP said:
We're talking about the rear lower quarter, not the flare or wheel well edge.....but thats on the agenda as well

Oh. Guess I'm mistaken then. Well in the case of the rear fender opening, I put heavy duty silicone sealant inside the wheel well to seal everything when I folded back the metal. Banged the hell out of it with the sledge and everything stayed fine. Paint chipped, but bedliner and undercoating will take care of all that.

Back