• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Main Seal Question

cklaus said:

This article was very helpfull!! Thanks!! It shows the rear main seal replacement with a motor that has that main bearing brace on it. It confirms that is what that piece is and that it should be torqued down to 35 ft lbs after, of course, installing the bearing cap and torquing it to 80 ft lbs.

Thanks again all for your help!!!:wave1:

That thing would have definitely made me panick when I replaced my rms a month ago. I did a ton of searches and never saw one or heard it mentioned.

F9K9 said:
That thing would have definitely made me panick when I replaced my rms a month ago. I did a ton of searches and never saw one or heard it mentioned.

I guess it's a matter of experience - I remember seeing them in catalogues for SBChevvy and SBFord years ago, and I've added more than a few of them to engines.

Get the main brace and studs from a 1996/1997-up 4.0L, and you can add it to an earlier version (I think it was introduced with OBD-II in 1996, but I'm not sure.) Just don't use the main caps - unless you've got the block out for machine work anyhow.

Back