• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hatch light switch

redneck999

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to put a switch in the back for the rear hatch for the dome light so it doesn't run my battery down when working in the back for extended times. Any ideas for tapping into factory wiring and where?

Typical setup for wiring is constant power with two switched grounds. The pink wire will provide battery constant power (so the lights will work when a door is opened), the yellow wire provides switched ground from the forward cabin (activated with doors and the dash light switch), and a purple wire w/ yellow stripe provides switched ground from the latch mechanism in the hatch (only activates cargo lamp). Usually there is a button on the lamp to interrupt the purple w/ yellow wire so that you can turn it off when needed

Almost all of the XJs came with a switch on the lamp. However almost all of them have a broken switch, because the plastic tends to melt when the lamp is left on for extended periods. Some people have wired small toggle switch from radio shack into the side of the lamp housing to provide the interrupt. Another option is to find the wire in the D-pillar and put a small little switch there. The switch doesn't have to be fancy, just something to open and close the ground leg

You can go really crazy with this if you want. I have a dual-housing RV lamp with a three-position switch that also controls secondary work lights in the hatch, and a magnetic safety cut-off switch in the D-pillar and hatch panel to kill the hatch lights when the hatch is closed.

Push the whole fixture? I don't know if it will do anything but just curious. Mine has two buttons but they don't do anything. My rear light does not come on when the hatch is open, just when the side doors are open.

I found out that it IS constant power when I replaced the headliner *zap*

my dome light in front has 2 buttons but they control the cockpit lamps and the rear lamp has nothing and it works fine . I just want to kill the dome lights when i want when i leave the hatch open

Push the whole fixture? I don't know if it will do anything but just curious. Mine has two buttons but they don't do anything. My rear light does not come on when the hatch is open, just when the side doors are open.

I found out that it IS constant power when I replaced the headliner *zap*

My button in the hatch was melted and fused so the light only came on when the side doors were opened. I pull the old switch out and put in my own bigger toggle switch. It's nice having the ability to turn them off when I plan to have the hatch open for extended periods.

I am an idiot, ive had the cherokee for two years and didnt know that the switch is in the lens cover. never looked at it. push it in and viola' it shuts off. im gonna lose another point on my man card.

Back