• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear fender trim, no turning back now!

Just an update to my fender trimming. Got everything finished while at my fathers shop. I am very pleased with how it turned out, and should have plenty of clearance for any tire I decide to run.

~James

First up was to cut some sheet metal strips to replace what I cut out. I used a cutoff wheel to zip out two panels about 5 inches wide, and roughly 5 feet long. I used something slightly thick than the stock sheetmetal, not sure what gauge it was.

DSCN1210.jpg

Here is the gap we have to fill.

DSCN1213.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

First step, just get her in place and put a few tacks on it.

DSCN1218.jpg

DSCN1219.jpg

DSCN1220.jpg

Lots more tacks. I ended up putting a tack every 1/4" around the whole outside. I put a 1inch weld every 4 inches or so on the inside.

DSCN1221.jpg

DSCN1224.jpg

After the bulk of the tacking, I trimmed the excess sheet metal from the outside, until it was basically flush with the body.

DSCN1225.jpg

DSCN1226.jpg

Last edited:
DSCN1228.jpg

DSCN1229.jpg

Here you can see the Automotive Seam Sealer we used on the inside of the panel. Its used on many panels by various manufatcurers and does a perfect job of sealing up the panel so no water or dirt can get in.

DSCN1230.jpg

DSCN1231.jpg

DSCN1232.jpg

DSCN1233.jpg

DSCN1234.jpg

DSCN1235.jpg

I was unaware, but my passenger side had some body work from a previous owner. It had a thin layer of body filler along where I cut for the fender, so I use more filler to make it all smooth again. I was just going to leave it, but my father is a perfectionist and insisted we do it 'right' so I let him do the body work after I got everything welded and ground down.

DSCN1236.jpg

DSCN1237.jpg

Last edited:
DSCN1238.jpg

DSCN1239.jpg

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1241.jpg

DSCN1242.jpg

DSCN1243.jpg

DSCN1244.jpg

So here she is. Finished and with a fresh coat or two of matching rubberized paint. Overall it was an easy job, It took about 3 hours per side. The finish looks WAY better than any cut and fold fenders I have seen.

Last edited:
WOW! Nice!

Good job man! :clap:

Nice job Stump. That looks realy nice. Got to be the best trim job I've seen!

So here she is. Finished and with a fresh coat or two of matching rubberized paint. Overall it was an easy job, It took about 3 hours per side. The finish looks WAY better than any cut and fold fenders I have seen.

Easy, huh....So, do you take reservations???:wave: I've got some cut (too far) and folded that I just had to open up to dump out a bunch of dirt...and ants from.... You interested in practicing some of that body work?? We might be able to work something out...Hotlanta isn't too far away:cheers:

Chuck, bring it over, along with some metal. We will do it up. Its not hard honestly, just a little time consuming.

I may re-post it in the mod tech section.

~James

Chuck, bring it over, along with some metal. We will do it up. Its not hard honestly, just a little time consuming.

I may re-post it in the mod tech section.

~James

I can just move it for you.

Back