• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear fender cut

corvette9210

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i want to cut the rear fenders but i want to go past the pinch elds and cut it almost flat to the wheel well when i do that what will happen ik its going to seperate but can i just close it up with a weld?

That metal is pretty thin, and it separates when you cut it up that high, if you do the method where you cut slits up to the pinch seam and then bend it under you will accomplish the same thing. I personally wouldnt try to weld it but if thats what you have your heart set on. Go right ahead

If you cut up that high, there will be nothing but carpet and plastic as inner fenders at the rear. You'll want to fab some sort of wheel well.

You will have to patch in metal. It wasnt fun but its doable.....

Fendercutting038.jpg

Fendercutting049.jpg

The TNT build of their xj had a nice section on the rear fender cut. They used 1/4" rod to tie their newly fanned inner well to the outer sheet metal. That way you aren't welding thin to thin, you are welding both sides to the rod.

Back