• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end rust help

GameTheory

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone, tried searching but wasn’t able to find any threads on the specific section I’m looking at.

The rear section of my cherokee has recently gotten worse (the section behind the bumper connecting the two rails.

My question is, is this salvagable with some fab work? The rails themselves don’t seem to be terrible, but essentially from the rear quarters back have seen better days.

Ignore the undercoating over the damage, super temporary coverup since it’s been pouring here.

https://imgur.com/gallery/DBsCQsX

If it's that bad there, there's a lot more (and in more critical areas) that your not seeing. I saw a brand new WJ get eaten to the ground in 4yrs in Syracuse!

In road salt country, rust damage is always 3x worse than what you can see. Is the rest of the Jeep worth the considerable time and effort to make temporary repairs, or would a rust free body with a blown motor be a better option to transfer all your good stuff to ?

If it's that bad there, there's a lot more (and in more critical areas) that your not seeing. I saw a brand new WJ get eaten to the ground in 4yrs in Syracuse!

In road salt country, rust damage is always 3x worse than what you can see. Is the rest of the Jeep worth the considerable time and effort to make temporary repairs, or would a rust free body with a blown motor be a better option to transfer all your good stuff to ?

NY roads have definitely been rough on it. Structurally and mechanically everything else is pretty sound at least in the short term (rockers and a small 6in spot on the floor pans are the only other areas). Guess I'll break out the wire wheel this weekend and start exposing what I can on the outside.

May look into sourcing another body, shame that around here that means at least 5k.

$5k got me a rust free lifted running xj, with all sorts of goodies included, engine only 40Kmiles on factory crate motor too.

california price, but the gasoline out here is about five bucks per gallon, ouch!

$160 got me a rust free Silver XJ chassis with some damage, last year. Some one cut a hole in the rear floor to acces the fuel pump, there is a dent or depression in the roof, and someone cut the inner fender well near the radiator over flow bottle. Also, the front clip, fenders hood, header panel is missing. So, sometime you luck into stuff.

Back