• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear d35 help

I won't be giving you shit about it anymore :roflmao: ps, if you have spare time, that offer to get a new axle in there is still open. Haven't been hitting the junkyard as much, but let me know when, drive on up, we can probably get it done in a weekend as long as you still have 3.55s in there unless you want to just drive it home with mismatched gears and not be able to use 4wd till you get it regeared.

I won't be giving you shit about it anymore :roflmao: ps, if you have spare time, that offer to get a new axle in there is still open. Haven't been hitting the junkyard as much, but let me know when, drive on up, we can probably get it done in a weekend as long as you still have 3.55s in there unless you want to just drive it home with mismatched gears and not be able to use 4wd till you get it regeared.

Eh...it puts all those other unfortunate d35 owners on notice. I'm in CT for school now, I need to check out whats available around here, maybe I'll get lucky. I'm stuck between New Haven and Hartford, but it may be rural enough to find a good pick and pull.

wow, that's only like a 2 hour drive from here.

wow, that's only like a 2 hour drive from here.

I'm closer south...Hamden...but yea, its about 2 hours....very very tempting...

For me ('89, AW4, 242, D35) I've got a 29 spline 8.25 sitting in the driveway waiting to replace the D35 before I get serious off road. I'll probably add a PowerTrax Limited Slip also because I've had good luck with one in the 2 w.d. '96 on the street and in the dirt for the last 30k miles.

Mike

PowerTrax doesn't make a limited slip. The No-Slip is considered a "Lunchbox Locker". I ran one for a couple years and have installed quite a few. Good trail performance and road manners.

I'll throw in my OPINION here;
Do you get stuck often? If you have the limited slip and it's working properly, you should be fine for now, unless you are getting stuck when in 4 w.d.
Since you have the 242 transfer case with full time 4x4, if you put in a front locker you will loose the on street full time ability.

Let me offer some opinion on this - I'm running a 242 with front & rear lockers.

Doing a front locker in a 242 is completely doable. However, my recommendation would be to use one that is either air- or electrically-selectable and fully-unlocked when not engaged. I'm running ECTEDs at both ends, which operate as LSDs when disengaged. In full-time 4WD there are situations where there's some noticeable steering bind just from the front LSD kicking in, but not to the degree that you would get in part-time 4WD.

It's not anything you can't live with, but if I were doing it over again I would not use the ECTED in the front. Now that a fully-open electrically-selectable D30 locker is available (when I did mine, there wasn't one on the market, hence the ECTED in the front), it doesn't make sense to go the route that I did at the time. Avoid automatic lockers (Aussie locker, etc.) for the front if keeping full-time 4WD is a requirement. IMHO, it's just not a good idea if you're using full-time as your front locker will effectively nullify the advantages of that range over part-time.

I only post in these threads so you guys can continue to ridicule me...:anon:

^that is from 90% street miles(on 33's) over maybe 3 years...I broke it trying to pass an MTA bus...

I broke the one before that STOCK, 100% street miles at maybe 60k?

im sorry, im trying not to 'ridicule' that much these days...

im just sayin, you are the perfect evidence for not touching a d35! dont walk, run away!

im sorry, im trying not to 'ridicule' that much these days...

im just sayin, you are the perfect evidence for not touching a d35! dont walk, run away!

No, no, its ok...I have no ill feelings about being an example of why the d35 sucks...for the record though it broke in stock config the first time.

PowerTrax doesn't make a limited slip. The No-Slip is considered a "Lunchbox Locker". I ran one for a couple years and have installed quite a few. Good trail performance and road manners.
I fully agree, but Richmond insists on calling it a "Limited Slip" even though it's a slightly modified "lunchbox". I bought mine used and have had it in and out a couple of times changing the springs when they've gotten tired, probably partly due to the manual trans, and the fun of chirping the tires at will.

Mike

ok this is what the tag says on the rear axle
help me with what i have i want a locker but they needed this info, these are the numbers on it and i need to know what gears and open or limited slip. WHAT AM I WORKING WITH HERE????????

8953005173 3 55 605389-6

thanks as usual

also how do i know what trans and transfer case i have? 88 xj 4.0 auto has full time 4x4 mode on selector

I think you figured this out already, but for future reference. The 605389-6 is the BOM number which you can lookup at http://www2.dana.com/expertforms/deabill.aspx.

It's a D35 non-clip, T/L 3.55 ratio

Back