• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper w/ Hitch...Help.

Rigid. worth the wait.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71610&highlight=rigid+rear

Use some quarter panel quards with it. I used Crok's.

2006_0726008.jpg

2006_0726009.jpg

I know the tire looks huge in that pic...I was too close to the jeep when I took it.

Detours also looks very nice.

Thanks for the replies! I like all the ideas, the rear corner is what I'm worried most about. Getting something that will line up and look good is my biggest concern. Here's what I'm working with (worried about) From some of the pics I've seen, this shouldn't be a big deal.

KodiakXJ
XJrearbumper.jpg

Why when they make swing away tire carriers do they always put the tire on the right side so it obsturcts your field of view when you look barkwards to back up? Why not put it behind the drivers side?

passxj said:
Rigid. worth the wait.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71610&highlight=rigid+rear

x2-best mounting out there. Terry is a great guy to talk to and his customer support is second to none. My center mount for the rear bumper did not line up correctly (accident in the past)-I gave him some measurements and he sent me overnight a new modified mount. Can't beat that. Just have to be patient but worth it.

HaysXJ,
With the Rigid mounting bar you can mount the tire on either side or the middle. The tire mount bolts to the swing-out arm so that you can move it.
I wonder why the hinges are always on the right side of the swing-out arms? It seems to me, if I were parallel parked and loading/unloading out the tailgate, the swing-out would be right in the way of getting to the curb. I guess that will learn me not to park in the city. I'll bet any of the custom guys could mount it either side for me.

On the Detours model does the lift-gate clear the tire easily? I notice the swing arm's hinge is more inboard than most mounts. Anyone know?

So you'd rather have the swing out swing into traffic if you were parked on the curb?

I'm pretty sure Terry will make it any way you want. He has a dual swing model also. I can see okay through my wheel. Generally you'd want the weight closer to the spindle anyway.

Fish'nCarz said:
Pic of my bumper is here. It attaches to the car at the factory bumper mounts and with bolts along the frame rail where a hitch mounts. Beefy and good looking bumper from Nate's 4x4. You can see why I want to get rid of those plastic end caps.

http://i5.tinypic.com/23wr5md.jpg

Thanks for the pic, I'm glad that Nate's 4x4 rear bumper works with the factory endcaps. The 97'+ XJ endcaps wrap around the rear quarter and look weird with them removed. I love how clean this heavy duty bumper looks and it almost looks factory. I'm definately planning on both front and rear Nates4x4.com bumpers with hitches f/r for my 98' XJ 2 dr dd. Well worth it for around $300 for the pair, Nate does have a 1-2 month lead time, but he does build good stuff. He also expedites the order for a little extra $.

Troy

I went with the detours bumper because I liked the integrated wraparound protection and the integration of their spare tire mount. It's supposed to arrive Friday of this week. I'll let you know how I like it and post pics when I get it on.

-c

Big Red said:
Thanks for the pic, I'm glad that Nate's 4x4 rear bumper works with the factory endcaps. The 97'+ XJ endcaps wrap around the rear quarter and look weird with them removed. I love how clean this heavy duty bumper looks and it almost looks factory. I'm definately planning on both front and rear Nates4x4.com bumpers with hitches f/r for my 98' XJ 2 dr dd. Well worth it for around $300 for the pair, Nate does have a 1-2 month lead time, but he does build good stuff. He also expedites the order for a little extra $.

Troy

he made mine with returns to the body that are covered by the end caps, but when I put rear 1/4 reinforcing panels on they will meet right up.

riverfever said:
Also, I would highly encourage you to contact Martin at Rock Lizard Fabrications. He recently relocated from Kansas to Colorado and I think he's up and cranking again. His username here is GottaBeJeep (pretty sure that's spelled correctly). He's serious about doing business.
I have delt with Martin and his prices are very good, I have yet to see the bumper in person, but I am sure it will be top notch. I also have an 01 XJ and I am looking to get a rear bumper/tire carrier. Martin told me at this point he does not have the tire carrier option but recomended that I contact DETOURS, he said that they are high quality and build great stuff. Also very nicely priced and have been very easy to talk to.
Martin did tell me that he is working on a rear bumper with swing away but said it would not be ready for a while, hey I'll play test mule!
ok I added my $.02

Last edited:
Thanks for all the Replies so far!

So, here's what I've some up with. I should have mentioned in my first thread I do not plan on using/adding a tire carrier (probably go roof rack mount) The other thing is I'd like one that sticks out just a little bit so I can stand on to reach the roof rack!

Bulletproof Mfg.
Good looking bumper, sounds extremly tough. Diamond plate rear quarter panels available. (not sure if I want diamond plate, would prefer smooth finish) One of the more expensive bumpers I've found. Looks like it will stick out a bit. With D-rings and tabs. $675

Tomken
Another decent looking bumper with the features I want. Bolt-on steel bumper endcaps that appear to extend up 'past' the fender to the tire. Appears to stick out enough. But no D-rings and tabs $510.00

Nate's 4x4
I understand this is a great bumper, from what everyone here is saying. Tabs built in. Probably extra cost for a receiver built in? Don't know if it will stick out far enough for me Worth the wait I've heard, but 1-2 months? Can he extend the side panels? Or can I buy them elsewhere that will work? Priced right < $250.

Detours
Slim-Line SLS is what I'm looking at here. Receiver hitch built in, tabs, sticks out far enough. Wraps around to fender but not quite far enough (goes to the factory fender, not all the way to the tire) Could this be customized? $450 with receiver.

Rock Lizard
No XJ rear bumpers on the website, sent them an e-mail. Looking forward to response.

Hanson Ent.
Same as Rock Lizard. Website lists an XJ rear bumper coming soon.

Custom 4x4 Fabrication
Looks like a decent bumper. Welded on endcaps and bolt on rear rocker guards. Tabs and D-rings can be added. Appears to have receiver beneath bumper (but could be hidden hitch?) $430 with rings and tabs.

C-Rok
Probably a good bumper, but similar to Nate's in that I don't know if it will stick out far enough for me. I like how it wraps the rear quater panel, but I could do without the C-rok. Also, not sure I like the mount system. Is this bumper rectangular tubing?
$480 with tabs

JCR Offroad
Stage 2 bumper with tabs and d-rings. May not stick out far enough. The big thing here is that it doesn't wrap the rear quater panels, but again, I could probably get those somwhere else, right? $250

Well, those are the ones I've obviously researched via the internet (no phone calls were made). In writing this 'research' I've realized that if the bumper doesn't stick out far enough to stand on to access my roof rack, then just stand on the tire. That would probably work just fine!

Let me know what you all think, any feedback would be great (I appreciate all of your responses already) Also, pictures of your rear bumper never hurts. The biggest issue I'm 'stuck' on is the rear quater panels coming to the tire.

KodiakXJ

wow, pretty big thread, but I bet it helps a couple other people than just me!

KodiakXJ said:
Thanks for all the Replies so far!

So, here's what I've some up with. I should have mentioned in my first thread I do not plan on using/adding a tire carrier (probably go roof rack mount) The other thing is I'd like one that sticks out just a little bit so I can stand on to reach the roof rack!

C-Rok
Probably a good bumper, but similar to Nate's in that I don't know if it will stick out far enough for me. I like how it wraps the rear quater panel, but I could do without the C-rok. Also, not sure I like the mount system. Is this bumper rectangular tubing?
$480 with tabs

Let me know what you all think, any feedback would be great (I appreciate all of your responses already) Also, pictures of your rear bumper never hurts. The biggest issue I'm 'stuck' on is the rear quater panels coming to the tire.

KodiakXJ

the crok bumper doesn't stick out at all. infact it sits a little further in than the hatch.

Call Mark at Detours!
Talk to the man, he was very accomadating to my custom request.
I am very happy with his construction, fit, and mounting.
He's not the cheapest, but if I ever have to put a rear bumper on another XJ, It will be a Slim line with out any hesitation.
(Nobody paid me to say this):laugh3:
Best XJ component buying experience I've had.
Just my .02

i bought a front and rear set from nate's 4x4 for my 95... super stout. i had a set of bulletproof bumpers on a tj, these are just as solid, and at a fraction of the price i paid for the bulletproof. i only paid like 600 bucks for both including shipping. took a while to get them though...

Haleyes said:
I ended up going with JCR Offroad sliders and bumpers. They have treated me great and have quality product too.

ditto. i have front and rear bumpers and sliders from em....i just have yet to install em.

87manche said:
So you'd rather have the swing out swing into traffic if you were parked on the curb?

I was picturing the swing-out having a stop at 90deg to keep it from interfering with the natural and free flow of traffic. I don't remember any mentions (on websites, or in these posts) now that I think about it of whether any of these have catches (like a spring loaded pin or latch on the arm that slips into a slot in the bumper) at 90 or 180degs. Anybody know?

KodiakXJ,
Thanks for the summary. It's nice to have all that info in one place.

I have a rear bumper made by AJs Offroad Armor. The bumper he built for me was well worth the wait. Has the hitch, two D ring tabs, and built in reverse lights. Bumper works awesome and the endcaps are built similar in design to the factory ones for a real clean look. Only thing it needs is a spare tire carrier which I'm trying to get him to build me one.

Back