• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear brakes locking up?

twoJeepers

NAXJA Forum User
My 89' is having some problems. The left rear brake/wheel is locking up. The problem is a little intermittant but here goes....
  • The pads and shoes are all fine.
  • The fluids are fine.
  • It only happens when it has recently rained.
  • When it is happening, either the pedal or the e-brake will lock it up.
  • The other brakes seem to be fine.
  • The second I get off the brakes(pedal or hand) it freewheels again.
I have taken it apart a couple of times and all of the parts seem to be in the right place and working.

The only thing I can think is that the drum is warped, but why is the car fine when it is dry out?

Any thoughts?

My 89 does the same thing. I just figure it's moisture on the shoes, because after I have hit it a couple of times, it goes away. It is especially exciting because it causes the locker to make all kinds of noise.

Ihave had a bunch of cars do that when they are wet

I never worried about

But I noticed it does it with cheap shoes

yup cheap shoes/pads will soak up moisture and grab until they heat up enough to dry out. also the drum/rotor surfaces can start to rust overnight and will grab a little for the first couple stops

I use top quality shoes and it still does it at times. Usually when it happens I just adjust the shoes out a little more and it goes away until the shoes wear some more.

Like Dizzymac, I usually cure this at least temporarily by readjusting manually. The automatic don't always work, and suck even when they do. For some reason it's usually the right hand that goes slack, and the left brake that locks. Has been the same on all three of my XJ's.

Back