• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle disc brake question

indianajeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to just swap in an entire WJ D35 rear? I know it would need leaf spring pads but aside from that and the obvious brake, driveline connections is there any reason this can't be done? If it isn't a bolt in can I use the WJ brake stuff instead of the stuff from a ZJ?

The WJ has a different bolt pattern.

Seems like a lot of work to put another D35 in something.

mac 'puts D35s in the garbage where they belong' gyvr

Buy an 8.8, wled some perches on it and throw it in. Best bang for your buck upgrade.

Really just after disc brakes. I already have the WJ axle sitting here. So aside from the bolt pattern issue can I use the brakes?

Really just after disc brakes. I already have the WJ axle sitting here. So aside from the bolt pattern issue can I use the brakes?

I can't answer that question.

I bet if you search the tech forum you might find someone on here has done it...or tried it.

mac 'my rear discs are on an eaton' gyvr

I would not recommend wasting time, Money & energy putting a D35 in anything!
Sell the D35 & pick up an 8.8 out of a 2005 & up Explorer.

You can sell the D35 and go to your local yard and pull the brakes off of a D35 in a ZJ with discs.

If you have an 8.25 you can still do that with the same ZJ brakes or pull them off of a KJ (Liberty).

But if you're really hellbent on swapping axles, I'd swap in something that has the same bolt pattern and not another D35. If you're going through all that work, you should put in something that is better.

So basically ZJ brakes, KJ brakes, 8.8, full KJ swap, build up an 8.25.

Even if you stuck with the D35 you have in there (assuming that's what you have), I would swap the brakes from a ZJ. Wouldn't bother cutting of spring perches, buying new perches and dealing with all the mock up to have an axle of the same shitty caliber.

Not flaming, but everything stated above is correct. Simply pull the backing plates and everything off the WJ axle and put on yours, or get a different axle. Around here I can score a 8.8 with disc brakes and 4.10 gears with a limited slip diff for ~$125-150...

I also believe theres a 8.25 for sale in the the sale/trade section...

Not flaming, but everything stated above is correct. Simply pull the backing plates and everything off the WJ axle and put on yours, or get a different axle. Around here I can score a 8.8 with disc brakes and 4.10 gears with a limited slip diff for ~$125-150...

I also believe theres a 8.25 for sale in the the sale/trade section...
Underlined section will not work. XJ has 5x4.5 bolt pattern, WJ has 5x5. The only way that would work would be to swap axle shafts as well. Then you're running different lug patterns front to rear and that becomes a hassle.

it might work is the caliper brackets are the same and you just go get some ZJ discs @ the parts store.

Underlined section will not work. XJ has 5x4.5 bolt pattern, WJ has 5x5. The only way that would work would be to swap axle shafts as well. Then you're running different lug patterns front to rear and that becomes a hassle.

My bad forgot about the lug pattern... :twak:

Back