• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ready to pull my hair out !!!

rgerber2 said:
Well the engine I took out was a 94. I dont know what year the one going in is since I got it from a junk yard. I looked for the numbers on the side of the block but didnt have any luck finding them.

Would I get any spark if if was the wrong cap ??

did you check for spark at the plug? easy to do, just dont shock yourself.

reason i asked about what year the engine was, is the flexplate of the engine needs to match the the computer control for the jeep its going in or the cps work work properly. for instance, a renix engine wont work in a 94 unless you use the flex plate from the 94. also, the distributor must do the same. so i would make sure the flexplate and distributor is from a 91-95 xj 4.0.

In 1994 (according to the local Jeep/DC parts guys) there were two different sensors used in the distributor. This change happened later in the year, and it's important to get the right parts for it since they're not interchangeable. If I were you, I'd take the VIN # or the parts you need into a Jeep dealership and ask them which version you have.

My 1994 conked on my way back from buying it, and it turned out to be the distributor pick-up coil. (One of MANY names for that little b@$tard.) When I yanked it, I didn't need to remove the distributor, I just took off the cap & rotor, unplugged the wiring, and then took off a couple of screws. My Jeep wouldn't start. It sputtered and farted and almost ran; but just wouldn't do it.

Hope it's a simple fix for you. Wish I could help more.

:)

Only took 2 mos to figure out but it actually turned out to be that the timing marks on the crank pulley were wrong. I timed it using only a compression gauge and ignored the marks and it fired right up. After all the sensors I have changed it pretty much runs like new.

rgerber2 said:
Only took 2 mos to figure out but it actually turned out to be that the timing marks on the crank pulley were wrong. I timed it using only a compression gauge and ignored the marks and it fired right up. After all the sensors I have changed it pretty much runs like new.

Congrats man, any idea why the marks were off????

Back