• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Superflex 3.5" vs. OME 3" for DD

My reccomendation:

3" OME kit (medium or heavy duty)
RC drop brackets
factory CA's with new bushings
Bilstein 5100s
JKS adjustable trackbar, discos

It might be a little more expensive, but it'll ride awsome. This is pretty much the same setup I have (+ Teraflex 1.5" budget boost) and it rides much better than a freinds RE 4.5 kit.

I run the RE 3.5 kit with full packs and the OME Long Travel shocks, my wife wouldnt drive it with the previous 3" kit i had on it-it rides great now and its fun to see her drive it comfortably on the highway.

With the full leaf packs an RE 3.5 wont sit level, my packs after two years have settled to 4.5" so i run a spacer in the front. Because of the extra height i added the drop brackets and upper adjustable arms, even a bigger difference in ride quality. The RE HD trac bar, as well as the brace really firmed the front end up and i replaced the tie rod with one from a Grand cherokee.

With my old 3" kit i didnt need a SYE but the extra height of the RE 3.5 forced me to get one. Also something to keep in mind.

Hmm... the more I hear about the RE SF kit, the more I like it. I will definately go with the JKS LCA's though and I'm leaning towards the Monotube shocks.

I'm not too worried about the back sitting high... I'll probably put an extra coil isolator on the front to give it a tad more up there, and I'll be building a storage box for the back to hold my tools and a spare, so that should squat it down a bit.

On a side note, I just made a deal to trade my old steelies for a set of Moab's :)

I have the RE 3.5" full leaf packs and the front RE 3.5" coils and my jeep sits 100% perfectly level and i have the addded weight of a grill gaurd up front so to say no RE kit will sit level with the full leaf packs is a little extreme but i have personnaly installed the RE 3.5" kit on 3 XJs with the full leaf packs and 2 out of the three have sat level

IMO a lot of the aftermarket springs are on the soft side. With no weight in the jeep they are flexy offroad and kinda mushy on road. With a lot weight in it, you ride your bump stops offroad (if you have extended them, otherwise your springs probably just invert), and it handles like crap on the highway, especially without a rear swaybar. At least that was my experience with my RE 4.5" leafs, and I've heard similar things about the OME 3" leafs. I can't speak to the RE 3.5"s, but I would guess they are the same spring rate as the 4.5"s.

Personally, I'm a fan of firmer leafs in an XJ. I ran the OME 2.5" heavy duty leafs on my old jeep. I loved them, firm, but not rattle your teeth out stiff. In my new jeep, I swapped the RE 4.5"s for DPG 5"s, and I am very pleased with the result. They still flex and it's not a white knuckle drive out to the desert when I'm loaded to the gills.

BTW I ran OME shocks on both rigs and I love them.

Last edited:
I dont know about you n1ywb but my RE springs are great and handle better than stock and my jeep came from the factory without the rear sway bar since mine has the UpCountry suspension package. I drive my jeep in Atlanta traffic whipping it in and out of lanes like its a lil sports car and it has no excessive roll or anything and i have a rack on top with my spare tire up there along with a high lift jack and 5 lights. I also have a lot of weight in the trunk from my subs and amp and i have a grill guard up front and it doesnt sag and it sits perfectly level. If you do any research you will find that for an XJ RE is just about the best stuff out there when you need a performer suspension that is also great on the road for a daily driver

oh boy :gonnablow

if you have ever driven in Atlanta traffic you would know how u HAVE to drive whether you want to drive that way or not and i see u didnt like that i have subs and an amp well i like all types of music from hip-hop to country to rock and subs bring in a whole new range to all types of music not just hip-hop i like music and this jeep is my daily driver not just my trail rig and i wanted a high quality sound system im not just some kid with loud subs in his trunk i also upgraded all my speakers fronts r now infinity components and i have a in-dash flip out touch screen dvd player and ipod interface. dont judge or hate on me for having subs everyone is entitled to have what they want on their jeep and this is one of mine. by the way i know it seems like i just blew up or somethin out of nowhere but i get this all the time on any jeep forum and im tired of the judgement over having subs not everyone wants their jeep to be some redneck rig or a trail rig some people actually want their jeeps to look nice and be a great and comfortable daily driver. now back to suspension talk...

Back