• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 4.5" Kit

RobCherokeeXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
Currently I Have a 89 XJ w/ 3" of lift and i'm running 32" Tires 4.10's. I have Trimmed a lot and now have TJ Flares. Basically I'm ready to go bigger and would like to go to 33's and then down the road to 35's...

Just wanted some help/Opinions...

Heres what I want to get
RE6130 4.5" Super-Flex Kit
Slip Yoke Eliminator
Rancho RS900 X Shocks
F&R CV DS (Have $500 certifacate towards shafts)

I was just wondering for the RE Kit if theres nething I should change or improve like adjustable track bar or adjustable lower or upper control arms... I'm going to go w/ Shims instead of the T-Case Drop. and also do u think the 4.5" will be ok w/ 33's and maybe 35's in the future or should i go to the 5.5"?

If you want to go to 35s in the future 5.5 might be a bit better for you. But it depends on how much you have cut, what bump stops you have, and how much flex you want to have. And if you get the SYE, you dont have to do the tcase drop.

RobCherokeeXJ89 said:
I was just wondering for the RE Kit if theres nething I should change or improve like adjustable track bar or adjustable lower or upper control arms...

buy the best components you can...

adjustable EVERYTHING - Trackbar, Uppers, Lowers...

it will pay off later...

and get the BEST HD components...

you have to decide if you want to spend the coin on hard joints or bushings
also look into what you want as far as long arms or drop brackets...

or just run short arms at 6" :gag: like i am...

adjustable EVERYTHING - Trackbar, Uppers, Lowers...

it will pay off later...

AMEN!!! I've got a set-up pretty much like yours except my tires are still 30x9.50!!! Looks kinda' wienny, but the big tires and rims will have to wait until the wallet refills itself :D

Robert

33's will clear with the 4.5 and with a little or alot lol of trimming youll get 35's in there. Heres mine. RE4.5 with 33's
doorless2.jpg

Thanks for all the advice,
How much more does it usually cost to upgrade to all the adjustables... how come it makes a difference?
and do all of you guys w/ the 4.5" have a sye and cv drive shaft F&R?

RobCherokeeXJ89 said:
How much more does it usually cost to upgrade to all the adjustables... how come it makes a difference?

Adjustable UCA and LCA allow you to adjust your wheelbase slightly to center the wheel in the wheel well, and they allow you to adjust your castor for a better alignment.

The cherokees came stock with a cv front drive shaft. For the rear it would be a good idea to get a SYE/CV driveshaft for it. My friend has been running the RE4.5 lift for about a year w/ a 1" t-case drop and a shimmed rear axle. But why lift your jeep just to lower the t-case....

You could run a t-case drop and shim the rear axle for a temporary fix until you have enough money for a SYE/CV driveshaft. I an AA sye and tom wood cv shaft and have no vibes. My only complaint is paint flaked off the driveshaft before even wheeled it and it is starting to rust.

At LEAST get adjustable LCAs; I'd also recommend the HD Trackbar, Bracket and Brace. Drop Brackets are a very nice addition as well.. No need for new front shaft but a CV rear is a god thing; get credit for omitting that from your order. Speaking of which, either get the RE Gen II Disconnects or have the vendor credit the RE discos and you pay the difference on JKS Quicker Discos.

See my site - same configuration: http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/myjeep.html

Yucca-Man said:
Drop Brackets are a very nice addition as well.. No need for new front shaft but a CV rear is a god thing; get credit for omitting that from your order. Speaking of which, either get the RE Gen II Disconnects or have the vendor credit the RE discos and you pay the difference on JKS Quicker Discos.

Very good advice on the drop brackets and the discos. I have the RE 4.5" kit on my XJ and added 1.75" spacers as well as the drop brackets and I'm very happy with the setup.

xjcadropbrackets01.jpg

xjafterdropbracket02.jpg

I'd recommend sticking with the fixed lowers and running adjustable uppers (mainly because RE doesn't make a fixed SuperFlex upper). If you need more caster adjustment than what the LCA mounts offer, then it's probably time for drop brackets or long arms.

RobCherokeeXJ89 said:

I have a rustys 4.5 with revolver shackles and coil spacers. but no sye I just got a longer yoke in the rear and stock DS in the front and I have no real problems just dont do over 65 or the vibes get pretty bad.

XJWheelie said:
wait until the wallet refills itself :D
I want a wallet like that.....lol

Anyway, just want to say to the guy who started this thread, that I agree with all/most of the above suggestions...
But I wouldn't spend my money on adjustable CAs, instead, use the money and get the RE drop brackets and the accompanying braces.
So don't forget, you'll really want the HD tracbar, and the 1.75" spacers for up front.
You can run 33s without too much trouble, 35s with some more trimming work.

Bottom line though, as I add mods to my RE 4.5", I find myself building the RE 5.5" (i.e. add the additions recommended in this thread to the standard RE 4.5" kit, and you'll see you've almost got the RE 5.5". So if you're really into wheeling, you might save some money in the long run by getting the RE 5.5" up front.
Good luck.

----------
RE 4.5" w/DBs and fixed arms, 33s, bushwackers, 4.56s...bla bla http://my-xj.tripod.com

Well that's the thing, i'm pretty sure i'm going to move up to 35's, but not for like 2-4 years... would it still be easier just to start out w/ the 5.5 or just to do add ons to the 4.5.

RobCherokeeXJ89 said:
Well that's the thing, i'm pretty sure i'm going to move up to 35's, but not for like 2-4 years... would it still be easier just to start out w/ the 5.5 or just to do add ons to the 4.5.
Well,

RE 4.5" superflex w/full leaves of course: $950
RE 5.5" not the long arm, but with all the goodies: DBs, HD tracbar $1400
Difference: $450
Price of mods to be added to RE 4.5": DBs, HD tracbar, etc. over $450.

*Scale these prices down a little, because from Redrock4x4 or Jeepin.com you'll get things cheaper.....but we're still talkin the same proportions in price...

There is the math for you....there isn't a huge difference in price, but keep in mind, that if you start with the RE 4.5" and add mods until you've laid down $1450 you'll still only have a 4.5" kit with its leaves, brakelines, shocks, shackles and coils; whereas you could have spent $1400 and had a very nice 5.5" setup. Irresistible when you put it this ^ way huh? lol

Last, what I love about the 4.5" kit is that it keeps you COG nice and low, but you can still run 35s. Keep in mind that the 5.5" will net you 6" or more and will NEED 35s to look normal. Basically, 5.5" lift with 35s kinda puts you in another ball game.....ie steering mods, etc....I smell $$$$$

If I were to build my XJ again, on the same budget, and terms (it's myDD), I would probably still go with the 4.5". I see an HD tracbar in my future though....

Good luck.
--------------
RE 4.5", 33s, 4.56s......bla bla bla

Jason, why fixed arms?

Jeepin Jason said:
I'd recommend sticking with the fixed lowers and running adjustable uppers (mainly because RE doesn't make a fixed SuperFlex upper). If you need more caster adjustment than what the LCA mounts offer, then it's probably time for drop brackets or long arms.

Back