• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RCV ultimate dana axles vs Yukon/Superior axles

You need to reduce the ring gear deflection as the ring gear is now the weakest point of the axle. I would say that a properly built D-30 is as strong if not slightly stronger than a bone stock D-44, this will start a debate I'm sure, but we are comparing built to stock. Stock to stock there is no comparison.

I went from a very built dana 30 to a very built dana 44, and at the same time from 35's to 37's.

I was WAY HARDER on the dana 30, and it broke WAY LESS. In the future, I'll take a 30 over a 44 any day, and step from there to a 60. (which.. the 60 is now in my garage.)

I went from a very built dana 30 to a very built dana 44, and at the same time from 35's to 37's.

I was WAY HARDER on the dana 30, and it broke WAY LESS. In the future, I'll take a 30 over a 44 any day, and step from there to a 60. (which.. the 60 is now in my garage.)

Some of my wheelin buddies stepped from D-30's to D-44's and still break as much as they did with the 30. They feel the same way you do, shoulda went with a 60!

Since rock crawling is out of the plans I will stick with 4340 Chrome-Moly 30-spline axles in D30 with ARB for now.
For sure this will verify itself during my wheeling through sand dunes/muds.

thx a lot to all for your comments :cheers:

I would think that real life testimonials such as yours would shut up the haters that constantly harp about how a 30 is a waste of money and you can build an awesome D44 for a shiny nickel and some pocket lint...

less modification for install etc.

^This is the main reason people build D30s.

that depends on how you wheel, where you wheel, the issues you have and whatnot. anything posted on this board is just like things posted everywhere else, it is subjective and biased.

I agree 100%.

What were you breaking with the 44?

I think people break a lot of u-joints in D44's because they aren't much bigger than a D30 joint. Upgrade everything else, including tire size, and keep a similar sized joint, and that's the weak link. I wonder if a built up 44 with RCV's would last longer? Seems like a lot of TJ and JK Rubi guys are running them with success.

Back