• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RC 4.5 issues

Jeemy B.

NAXJA Forum User
While taking off the drivers side rear springs I broke the 2 top shock bolts and ideas on gertting there out or just welding the shock to the bottom of the floor be fine? Also The front bolt going thru the spring broke on me and had to cut the bottom of the unibody to get the nut off any ideas on how to replace that bolt? Well the easiest way to replace that bolt?

I welded a set of shock tabs that I got from a race car shop, and welded them directly in the place where the bolts snapped. I ran a grade 8 bolt .

I'm waiting for someone to get pissed off at me I post this so much...

Heat makes things easier. Mapp+Oxygen at the least.

You've already broke it, so see if you can punch the nuts out and fish some new bolts through there.

Or you can try and drill out the bolts and retap the nuts.

SEARCH!!!!!

This specific topic has been brought up at least a billion times.

Well I ended up cutting into the unibody to get it off and too replace it with a new one. I bought the grade 8 bolts at LOWES. The passenger side was heated and wd40 in out in out squirt x 30 and it finally came out. All is left now is to replace the top bolts of the rear shocks.

It's a rust issue, not a Rough Country issue. Spending about $300-$400 for a good set of torches and tanks is about the best investment you'll ever make!

An air chisel comes in handy on those shock bolts as well. I punched the nuts out with one in a few seconds and used some wire from my welder to fish some new bolts in. Worked great and probably didn't take much longer than if they hadn't broken.

Back