• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattle under rear of XJ

I've got the same sound. Sometimes when acceleratiing from a stop, but most often in D with the brakes on. Is it possible for teh baffles in teh tank to rattle?

every one of you should check the actuator for the door lock inside the rear hatch (assuming you have keyless, and maybe even if you dont) There is a threaded rod that attaches the actuator to the lock mechanism, which is held in place by a small nylon clamp thing. Overtime from slamming the hatch the nylon clamp loosens up, allowing the whole assembly to rattle back and forth.

Pictures would be worth a thousand words, but you'll understand easily once you take a look...you can unclasp the nylon clamp and move it down the threaded rod, thus tightening up the assembly

:dunno:I had a similar sounds and mine ended up being a loose shock. I would go thru the underside and retorque everything

Have you broken an upper shock bolt in the rear. Mine does it when i go over bumps because I broke one of the bolts off.

Mine seems to come and go with changes in temperature. It just got cold out, and the rattle has come back in earnest. I can now even hear it a little when its not in gear.

I opened and looked inside the hatch this afternoon but couldn't find anything loose. The rattle persists with the hatch open.

P.S. Mine is a 2000 with 2" of lift.

Back