• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Raising a 242

fyrfytr1717 said:
Maybe I'm oversimplifying it? Ecksjay, how did you remount your tranny / TC without the crossmember? I don't see any provision for bolts running through your skid. Does it all just rest on top of your skid with some sort of a shock absorbing spacer sandwiched in between?

And the remounting of the tranny without the crossmember?

So here's the front. I think what he did was cut part of some channel or box tube to make the gusset for the top of the main plate. As you can see, this is a longarm crossmember, so he reinforced it. It just raises up a little for the stock trans mount to bolt into. Same principle as the stock one, but the crossmember is even with the frame rails.
xmemberfront.jpg

Here's the back to show you what was done there. More gusset on the top as well. I have no pics of it out of the Jeep and it's too tight to get the camera up there. ;)
xmemberback.jpg

This is where I seem to remember some of the clearance hammering going on.
xmembertop.jpg

Hope this helps you.

Perfect. Thanks for the great pics Ecksjay. I appreciate your taking the time to do that. That's pretty impressive how he got everything all tied together into one piece like that. I really have to go take a welding class.

But in the mean time, I'm going to go ahead with my plan. First off I'll be removing my TC drop kit. It's gotten me by for the past 6 years but it's time for it to say goodbye. While the crossmember is removed I'll determine which route I'm going to take to raise the assembly up about 1/2". Hopefully that will be high enough to clear the skid plate, but not so high as to cause contact with the body. I'm figuring I will have to punch out the factory bolts on the tranny mount and replace them with slightly longer ones. As for the spacer, I'm thinking either 1/2" steel plate or getting one of those Prothane poly tranny mounts that Stu used on his clocking project. Next it will be time to order a SYE and a new driveshaft and I figure while I've got the TC out for the SYE install I'll go ahead and pound out any unnecessary low spots in tunnel. Bolt it all back up and hopefully everything should work out just about right. I'll make sure to take some pics along the way in case anyone else is interested in doing this down the road.

One last related question... is there any way to measure for my new driveshaft length prior to getting the TC in it's final resting place? I'd love to just do it all at once. I'm guessing not as you are basically measuring the distance between your pinion yoke and the TC but I thought maybe there was some sort of formula or other workaround. I guess some old fashioned geometry with a little help from good ol' Pythagorus ought to work...

Back