• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiators

Extinction

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. Been reading here for a few years but just joined. Factory radiator got a leak a year ago. Bought an aluminum 4 core from eBay with a 5 year warranty. Well it leaked in under a year and the seller doesn't exist apparently for the warrenty. Was told about Cold Case radiators. Bit pricey but if it's worth it I'll buy it. So what are thought on this radiator?

My XJ had a CSF 1-row when I bought it. It worked well. When I rebuilt the cooling system, I switched to a Cold Case (which is 2-row). It also works well, but a bit hard to say if it obviously works better than the CSF 1-row. The Cold Case cools better at speed but not as well when at a stop. The reason is likely that a 2-row needs a higher air pressure differential across the radiator to cool better, so it works better at speed. If you are on a budget, I suggest a CSF 1-row. The Spectra Premium 1-row is likely as good or better than the CSF 1-row.

This should provide you with some good reading: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1150722

The Cold Case is in there.

I have run that, and I believe Cal is now running it.

I took mine out and switched to a Champion.

Note that with the Cold Case you will need to properly seal up some fittings that you would think Cold Case had taken care of themselves. The nipple for the overflow tank was never properly installed on any of the Cold Case radiators to come my way, and the O-ring for the plug for the Renix era sensor is entirely the wrong way to seal that plug. Just a bead of RTV would be better than the O-ring. There are aluminum compression washers that are also a better answer.

Look through the linked thread and you will see more details on the Cold Case.

I have a Cold Case in one of my XJ's. Works okay, but not super impressed with it.

For my money, there are 2 radiators that I would use again.

For a bone stock daily driver, get the Spectra Premium, either on-line or at AutoZone. Have one in my son's 99 DD XJ and it works great.

For a trail rig, I use the Champion BC1193. It's a little pricey, but works the best for me in my 99 XJ which is mostly a trail rig.

Hope that helps.

It's not really used daily but on the weekends I go to my cabin. 20 miles pavement and 4 miles up a mountain on an unmaintained dry creekbed looking road. 5 mph to 8 max. In the summer it seems to get a little hotter on the trip up. Just wanting to get something that's going to keep it not al temp.

Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. My xj is a mail rig, I drive 150-170 miles a day over very rough roads in temperatures from -10 to 105 with 100% humidity, stop and go driving all day. When what looked like the factory one, mopar at least, went, I replaced it with a full aluminum unit. It was leaking within 6 months, up near the filler neck. I replaced it with a more expensive full aluminum unit. It lasted 8 months, leaking in the same place. I replaced it with the cheapest spectra autozone had in stock. It is still dry as a bone and cools my stock rig just fine. The key to keeping a stock rig cool is a clean cooling system, with properly functioning stock fans and good 195 stant thermostat. Most xj cooling issues are due to clogged radiators.

This one is leaking next to the filler but in the fins at the top next to it. I figured the aluminum would be better but it's not looking good.

Im a bit over a year and a half in on my ebay 3 row aluminum, no real issues. I did have to replace the cap that came with the radiator for a better one (safety vent ftw) due to some leak spotting on the hose and i could hear air escaping when hot.

Performance wise, she runs just below 210 on a hot day and will touch 210 at idle. Stays 210-215 with ac and e fan at idle on hot days.

Blackhorse racing i think was the ebay seller i bought from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are just seeing coolant stains in the fins but have not found the hole in the radiator itself, you may simply have a leak at the hose.

I have thought I had a leaking radiator, but when I took it out and pressure tested it there was nothing wrong. Reinstallation and tightening of the hose clamp solved the problem. I followed that up by replacing the hose.

A little pricey but I'm over 6yrs on my Griffin aluminum!

It leaves some decent size drips on the ground after driving. I'm going to recheck the hose to ight anyway tho. It's at the top on that side.

And I had to replace the cap from day 1 with this ebay radiator because it didn't seem to fit right.

This should provide you with some good reading: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1150722

The Cold Case is in there.

I have run that, and I believe Cal is now running it.

I took mine out and switched to a Champion.

Note that with the Cold Case you will need to properly seal up some fittings that you would think Cold Case had taken care of themselves. The nipple for the overflow tank was never properly installed on any of the Cold Case radiators to come my way, and the O-ring for the plug for the Renix era sensor is entirely the wrong way to seal that plug. Just a bead of RTV would be better than the O-ring. There are aluminum compression washers that are also a better answer.

Look through the linked thread and you will see more details on the Cold Case.

That is an excellent thread. What I took away from that thread is that we should all be running coolant filters.

So doni have any cold case users that can fill me in a little quicker. I checked this one I have over today before I tore out a wheel bearing hub and I now have a leak on each side towards the top tank on each side. I've been reading the attached thread when I get a few minutes here and there and I'm not even sure how many pages are on that thread yet. Lol. But so far I didn't hear about the cold case. But I'm up for other options also.

Page 16, post #235 is the beginning of my input on the Cold Case.

Damn. Just finished page 6 and it's game over for me for the day. Thanks.

What's so cool about that thread is that it spans 4 years and all of the follow-up on specific radiators. No one who ran a Mishimoto ran it for very long due to the passages clogging up. Like I said, I think we need coolant filters. I wonder if the remote bypass type filters would be good? I'd be hesitant to do an inline style filter.

So. I'm going off grid for the weekend. Can I get everyone's suggestions on which radiator to make my consideration a little easier. I haven't had time to read the other thread yet.

What's so cool about that thread is that it spans 4 years and all of the follow-up on specific radiators. No one who ran a Mishimoto ran it for very long due to the passages clogging up. Like I said, I think we need coolant filters. I wonder if the remote bypass type filters would be good? I'd be hesitant to do an inline style filter.

I have to wonder how many of those folks just slapped the rad in and called it good without flushing the system, leading to failure of the Mishi rad…

Coolant filter has been done before, plumbed into the heater inlet hose. Theres a writeup thread i found awhile back that i will try and link later when i find it again. Basically uses a Dorman remote mount filter bypass and a spin on can type oil filter.

Something else to consider: after flushing, consider switching to a low phosphate low silicate HOAT coolant like G-05 if you use an aluminum rad/heater core. Easier on the aluminum components of the system than EG green coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back